~21~

Kai's pov.

"Kailey Diego Vasquez at your service" I said with a sinister smile while I bowed down. I knew that the man might know who I am.

I felt a lot of stares my way. I knew that it was my team since now they know my full name. I felt someone intensively stare at the back of my head. Stares never made me uncomfortable but this one felt like it will burn a hole in my head.

After I straightened back up I had no reason to stare at the ground. So now I had my eyes plastered to the woman. She seemed to be confused at my actions but the man looked terrified.

There was a conversation going on about the nuclear powerplant but since I wasn't interested I did a little check-up on my supplies. I had my sniper fully loaded just in case. My throwing knives were all in place secured on my thigh. A machete was attached to my belt loop like usually. A handgun that was fully loaded too in its holster around my waist. I went trough my backpack and made sure everything was still there. My other weapons were still in perfect shape and waiting for me to use them.

After the check-up was done I noticed 10k staring a me. I looked up at him and tilted my head to the side. He came up to me and spoke up.

"Kai...or should I say Kailey now. You are scaring me. What the frick is going on?" I knew that someone will ask this question. I smiled and took  his hand. He looked like he will cut it off just to not touch me.

I looked around to observe the situation. No one was looking so I pulled him aside and explained that the man might know who I was before the apocalypse due to my full name. Saying it out loud probably was a mistake but I have to be ready just in case.

He then asked me about why I was so cautious around them both and I just sighed.

"Look I can't explain it right now. Tell Warren that I will explain after we are out of this city." I told him as he nodded and went back to the group. He then whispered something into Warren's ear and she looked at me. I smiled at her sweetly letting her know that this all is just a cover up. She nodded and I also went back to the group.

Once I sat down the man noticed me get back to the group and he immediately tensed up. I liked how clueless his daughter was.

*time skip*

We had arrived at the powerplant to shut it off. The plan seemed to be okay but there were some flaws. I pointed them out while they were planning but the man ignored me. My 'insane' act was doing pretty good.

Once we got to the gate the team split into groups to make the plan work. I was with the man and my job was to protect him. He was against it and he even questioned why an insane person like me should even be armed.

*another time skip*(sorry I'm skipping so many scenes it's just not following how I imagined the story)

The first attempt went totally wrong. The old man had punctured his suit so we had to get back outside. He wasn't capable of walking so me and 10k had to basically carry him outside.

As we were headed towards the gate he spoke up.

"Hey Kailey. I'm not going to make it but...Your 'aunt is proud of you"

Aunt.

That's how I called my best friend's mom. Tears swelled in my eyes as I tried so hard to not cry. As we reached the gate I managed to not cry. Once we went trough the gate the man collapsed and his daughter ran towards him. He won't make it.

As he turned into a brain eating zombie I turned around not wanting to see him get killed.

After some good quiet moments a realization hit me. I walked up to her and she just looked at me.

"You said that the population here is 3 right?" As I finished my sentence she sniffed. She got up and nodded.

"So why don't we go get the last man and ask him for help." Everyone turned to look at me. The woman's face lit up with hope and I smiled.

3rd person.

As they arrived to the place where the last man who's name was Homer lived Warren stopped everyone and called Kai and 10k to come check it out.

[Warren] "This is your kind of set up. How do we get in?"

[Murphy] "Without getting us killed. I do like to keep that in mind."

[10k] "Uhh well..." He got cut off by Kai speaking up. Since her father was training her she knew a lot about this stuff.

[Kai] "Homer's set-up is aimed to stopping Z's not a team. So if we keep a sharp eye out for landmines or any kinds of trip wires..." She got cut off by now surprised 10k.

[10k] "We should be fine."

They both smiled at the same time.

Warren then divided the team into 2 groups. One with Kai and the other with 10k as leaders since they knew more about these.

10k's team was sent to go from the back side of the house and flush him out while Kai's team will wait in the front to catch him in action.

As Kai reached the front door she turned around to call Warren to tell her something. She was surprised by the door flinging open and she was captured by Homer. He held a gun to Kai's head.

Kai wasn't surprised. She in fact was calm which was weird since in these situations anyone would've tried escaping but she just stood there calmly.

As he was about to pull the trigger a voice spoke up behind him and once he blinked he realized that he is trapped.

[10k] "Don't do that sir." He said as he held a knife to his throat.

Oh how the tables have turned.