~9~

A/N: Sorry I'm here again with my a/n. Just wondering about something. Longer or shorter chapters? Cus I feel like they are not long enough. Comment on what you would feel like would be good ^^

Kai's pov.

Garnett explained me where we were headed since I had a bit of a mental breakdown. Looks like we were headed for some kind of a military base. He said that Citizen could hear them but they couldn't hear him.

Garnett said that they have a helicopter? I kind of didn't want to believe him because how the actual fuck would they keep it in order and going? Almost everything is out of order so that gave me a suspicion.

I shook it off and just nodded and sat quietly. I was for some reason too busy thinking about nothing. I knew I had to concentrate but I couldn't because I was so exhausted. I haven't slept for what felt like ages.

After everyone was gathering their stuff and getting ready for the trip Warren came up to me and asked me if I'm doing good.

3rd person.

[Warren] "Hey baby, how you doing here?"

[Kai] "I'm doing just fine. Just tired."

[Warren] "How about you sleep for a moment? I'll ask someone to sit with you."

[Kai] "Thank you." She said with a small smile which she received back. Warren went to ask someone who would volunteer. The only people who were willing were 10k, Cassandra and Doc.

Warren said that one of them got to sit in the backseats. 10k automatically refused since he wanted to make sure she's okay. Doc and Cassandra did 'rock, paper, scissors' and Doc lost.

Everyone hopped in their places and Garnett started driving.

Cassandra and 10k were getting closer and closer every day. Kai noticed that but didn't say anything because she and Cass has become like sisters. She didn't want to accuse her for just her suspicion.

Kai promised herself that she won't hesitate to bust Cass's skull open if one of her suspicions come true. She knew that there is no particular reason why she shouldn't let Cass be friends with 10k. She just said to herself that she just is jealous.

Once they arrived to the right coordinates Kai was still asleep. Garnett went to the very back of the truck and woke her up. He was gentle since he didn't want for Kai to wake up and hold a knife to his throat. Wouldn't be the first time but still not a nice situation.

*small time skip*

[???] "Halt! Who goes there?" A guy that was supposed to be a guard spoke up kind of scaring everyone. Everyone could tell he is tired just by looking at his face.

[Garnett] "Sergeant Charles Garnett, National Guard. This is Roberta Warren." He said as he nodded in Warren's way.

[???] "State your business."

[Garnett] "We're on a high priority mission to get this man to a CDC lab in California."

[Warren] "We were sent here by an Intell Officer from the NSA to see General McCandles.

[Garnett] "We need his help finding transpo. We were told he has a helicopter."

[???] "Yeah he's got a chopper. But General McCandles is a very busy man. He's got a whole east coast under his command. He can't worry about some raggedy ass group of civilians on a suicide mission. I suggest you move on before the infected find you."

[Warren] "Nothing raggedy ass about this group of civilians, sir."

[Doc] "And he has important information about a vaccine for the zombie virus."

[???] "He smells like a damn Z."

[Murphy] "You don't smell so good yourself, septic tank." Murphy said with a lot of sarcasm.

[Warren] "You gonna help us or not?"

[???] "You want to see the General? You gonna have to pay a tribute. Gesture of goodwill to show him you're serious."

[Warren] "What kind of tribute you have in mind?"

[???] "Our medic has been MIA over a year. We need painkillers. Antibiotics. Anything you got."

[Doc] "I'll get my bag."

Doc said as he went back to the truck to get his back. Kai and 10k were sitting in the back of the truck observing everything.

After he got his bag he went to barter with the 'guard'.

[Doc] "I got aspirin, tetracycline, cipro. That should knock out any infection. And oxycontin."

[???] "The oxy. We need painkillers."

Doc was hesitant to give the makeshift guard the pills.

[???] "You wanna see the General or not?"

[Doc] "This is the last of our supply." He said as he gave all the pills to the guard.

[???] "That'll do."

Doc watched him swallow them all in one go even without the water.

[Doc] "Hey!"

[???] "The General will see you now."

Kai's pov.

I kept looking at the situation there. I was pretty relaxed knowing that he doesn't stand a chance with all of us ready to shoot.

It was quite funny to see Doc and the guard having their little 'argument'. I giggled as I watched them talk.

"What's so funny?" 10k then asked me and I looked at him. I smiled and nodded in Doc's way. 10k looked at the situation and smiled.

You know? His smile is cute. I could watch him smile all day. Really did this guy fall from heaven or something?

I realized that I was staring and I looked away. Warren then called me. I nodded my head to her and jumped out of the truck. I walked towards her.

"Listen Kai, Doc will go in, talk to the General and if he isn't back in 20 minutes we are going after him. I need you and 10k to stay here and watch the car so it doesn't get stolen again." Warren said as Doc was entering the building.

"Got it. Be careful though." I said as I gave her a small smile. She returned it and I turned around to go tell 10k the plan.

*time skip*

"Hey Warren. Doc still isn't back. You should go after him" I said to Warren as my worry just grew. I liked the old man. He was like a grandpa to me.

"Alright everyone we are going after Doc." Garnett said as they went off towards the building. I just sat in the car and tried to sleep.