Trying our best

Lorenzo POV
We decided to take Gia to a psychologist. Since being in the restaurant, Gia refuses to sleep alone and often wakes up multiple times a night from night terrors. We are all exhausted.

"I don't want to talk to a stranger. Gia said from
the back seat.

"It'll help you feel better and you will have fun." I tried. I was running out of things to tell her to try to get her excited.

"I'm not going to stay. I'm going to sneak out and leave." She whispered to herself but I could here.

"That will get you in big trouble. You haven't been spanked in a long time, but that will get you spanked. Do you understand me?" I said sternly. We were really trying hard to talk with her instead of spanking her all the time but all bets were off with running away. That was a habit that would not be forming.

She was quiet. "Gia, do you understand me." I said glancing at her in the mirror.

She nodded her head. "I want words." I said still staying on her.

"I understand." She finally said. We pulled in and I got out of the car and opened her door. She looked at me and then looked down. I could tell she was getting anxious.

"Come one little one." I said and grabbed her hand. We walked into the waiting room and luckily they had a fish tank. She was instantly interested and went and sat by it. I breathed a deep breath and went and checked her in.

I sat next to her and soon they called her in. She looked at me and then the person who was taking her back and then back at me. "Can we go now?" She asked clutching my arm.

"In a little bit. Go with her. I'll be waiting right here for you." She hesitated at first but then finally went back.

It was a long hour before they called me back. They put me in a little room that overlooked the doctors office. Gia was sitting on the floor playing with legos.

"Hi, I'm Dr. Jennings. I'm one of the psychologist here. She was a middle age woman who looked very warm and inviting.

"I'm Lorenzo." I shook her hand.

"She talked a lot about you, Antonio, Salvatore, and Carlo. She also talked about her Nonno and Uncle Leo. That's about as much as I could get from her. She has strong walls built around her emotions and seems like she doesn't let people in very easily. She was glancing through her notes.

"She hasn't told us very much. She has talked to My brother Leo about a few things but nothing big. She keeps it all in until she explodes." I said my glance not leaving Gia. If you looked at Gia, you could never guess what she has been through . Sure she acts out and is a little stinker at times but what kid doesn't. She's not easily readable and she's adorable and she knows how to use that against people.

"Most of the session consisted of her avoiding my questions or giving me answers that she knew I wanted to hear. She also asked if I just get paid for asking people how they feel all day. She drew this."She handed me a piece of paper.

"What is this?" I asked confused.

"She drew a diagram of a cell." Dr Jennings said like I should know this. I haven't taken a biology class in years.

"Why?" I asked confused.

"Your bet is as good as mine. I told her she could draw what ever she wanted."

I looked closer at the picture. It was good and she even labeled the parts. But it made no sense that what she picked to draw.

"So our session is done today. Hopefully the more she comes the more trusting she will be."