xxxi

CHAPTER XXXI

It was nice meeting you and the end.

The pair had managed to diffuse the awkwardness between them to some extent as Nikalus' everlasting smile kept shining in the broad sunlight and a smile unconsciously crept up Lucy's face on seeing that smile

"So, here we are." said Niklaus, clearing his throat as the car came to a stop in front of the hospital.

"Oh, we're already there." chuckled Lucy, glancing out of the window with slight awkwardness, as she tucked a piece of hair behind her ear.
Looks like the awkwardness still hadn't dissipated.

"Yeah." nodded Niklaus, scratching his neck awkwardly.

"Um..... so maybe we should get out of the car?" suggested Lucy.

"Oh, yeah," said Niklaus, the two of them exiting their respective seats as they came to stand in front of the hospital next to each other.

"Actually," began Lucy, taking a short breath, "you know what, we're being really, really, I mean very really awkward with each other."

"Yeah," nodded Niklaus.

"Do we know why we're being awkward?"

"Of course, it's obvious," shrugged Niklaus, "because we've decided to date. And we obviously can't stay awkward forever."

"So, what to do?"

"Well, it's a small trick I picked up in Hong Kong," began Niklaus, rubbing his hands together as if to gather some courage, "close your eyes."

"You sure?" Lucy raised her brows.

"Huh-uh."

"Okay." she nodded, closing her eyes. "By the way, when did you go to Hong Kong? Sometime recently? Or a century ago?"

"Shh. Don't distract yourself."

"Fine."

She quietened down, waiting for him to say something, although she couldn't quite hear him.

"Niklaus?" she called out, pausing for a reply, but then peeked her left eye open slightly to look around before opening both eyes fully and seeing no one around.

"Seriously?" she sighed, looking at her left.

But when she turned to her right, she nearly got a heart attack.

"Holy shit!" she exclaimed, placing her hand on her heart to calm its fast beating down.

Niklaus had appeared out of nowhere, a bouquet of flowers in his hand.