o

prologue

prologue ✧

"does it hurt?"
          "what hurts?"
"losing every person you love every single time."

♪ 𝘐 𝘤𝘢𝘯'𝘵 𝘴𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘶𝘴,
𝘮𝘺 𝘈𝘵𝘭𝘢𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘴, 𝘸𝘦 𝘧𝘢𝘭𝘭.
𝘞𝘦 𝘣𝘶𝘪𝘭𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘰𝘸𝘯
𝘰𝘯 𝘴𝘩𝘢𝘬𝘺 𝘨𝘳𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘥.
𝘐 𝘤𝘢𝘯'𝘵 𝘴𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘶𝘴,
𝘮𝘺 𝘈𝘵𝘭𝘢𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘴, 𝘰𝘩, 𝘯𝘰.
𝘞𝘦 𝘣𝘶𝘪𝘭𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘶𝘱
𝘵𝘰 𝘱𝘶𝘭𝘭 𝘪𝘵 𝘥𝘰𝘸𝘯. ♪

━ 𝐀𝐓𝐋𝐀𝐍𝐓𝐈𝐒
𝐛𝐲 𝐬𝐞𝐚𝐟𝐫𝐞𝐭.

                    1973
                    istanbul, türkiye

"NO, PLEASE! LET HIM GO, PLEASE!"

Uncontrollable sobs racked the body of the woman begging on her knees, her hands tied behind the back as unpaused chanting swirled into the air.

The altar tainted crimson red with the blood of the man tied down onto it, body gashed with cuts. But those were not ordinary cuts, those were symbols, carved into his body.

"Rex inferorum. Diabolus. Te invocamus. Oblationem nostram suscipe. Tua nos benedicite praemia. Te invocamus."

Hooded figures chanted, their eyes closed as they looked up in the sky, arms spread out.

"Please, dad, I beg you!" the woman shrieked as one of hooded figure raised a ceremonial knife. "This is not going to bring him back! Please spare Kerem! It is not going to work!"

"NO! NO! KEREM!" she screamed, lunging towards them but several people held her back as the knife was flung into the man's heart, ending his life for once and all.

A hooded figurine stalked towards her, cascading the black flimsy material off his head as white hair glinted under the moonlight, the forest winds blowing it into a messy state.

"It did not work. Again." he said calmly, peering down at the sobbing woman. "Your father has been trying for decades."

"Your crazy 'a loved one for a loved one' is never going to work!" she shrieked. "Because it is WRONG! Why? Why? Why did you do this to me! Why?"

"I love him!" she sobbed, body slumping onto the ground in defeat. "We were about to get married. And. . . you took him away from me! Why. . .?"

"Sober up, girl. Look at your father's condition." the man said icily, gesturing to the altar where the man who had plunged the knife stood crestfallen at the failure of the ritual. "He tries again and again and again. And he fails every time to bring his love back to life. He was also about to get married to Steve. And what befell on them?"

"I lost Steve too!" she yelled at him, body shaking with grief. "He was my father! But that doesn't mean Richard gets to kill my fiancé! How could you be so cruel? Steve's death was not my fault. Please. . ."

The white haired man looked around in exasperation, ignoring her weeping. "You should have known better than to fall in love with someone. You always knew this would happen. Now, go and look after Richard. He needs it."

"Look after him?" she looked up at him in disbelief. "He KILLS my fiancé, my LIFE! AND YOU ASK ME TO GO LOOK AFTER HIM!?"

"I will kill both of you. . ." she said slowly, meeting his eyes. "I will kill you all. . . I will kill you!"

He laughed cruelly at her words, before clenching his jaw, and bending down to look her in the eye. "We both know you'll do no such thing. You love your father despite everything. Now, go and see to him."

                    present day
                    florida, usa

Loud honking swirled in the musty city air as vehicles on vehicles piled after each other, blocking the whole roadway.

"Oh my god, Casper!" a woman exclaimed with exasperation into her phone, her hand lousily tapping the steering wheel. "Do not start with the ritual thing again. I'm not wooing anyone for putting them on the altar."

"Oh, come on, Lucy, it's only a matter of a few months. He will be madly in love with you and then we can easily sacrifice him." the man on the other line of the phone call explained calmly.

"Seriously?" she scoffed, rolling her eyes. "Then what about your so-called 'a loved one for a loved one' theory? If I won't love him then how will the ritual work?"

"Then you love him. Or a her, it's totally upon you to decide." he stated as if it's the most easy thing to do.

"Omg, wow, just wow." she praised, sarcasm dripping from her tone. "You want me to fall in love with someone and then willingly hand them over to you people so that you may slice their throat on the altar. How brilliant. I'm amazed by your mind-blowing ideas."

"Anything for Steve, isn't it?"

"Oh, please," she scoffed, her tone turning icy, "do not ask me to give up on my loved ones for a crazy, wrong idea of Richard's. "

"Oh, be happy that Richard doesn't know of that girl of yours. It's a good thing he's currently dead set on some powerful creature for sacrifice."

"Are you threatening me, Casper Daldron?" Lucy laughed humorlessly, her tone amused, nonetheless.

"No way. I would never rat you out like that." he assured. "I'm just saying think about this idea. The sacrifice may actually work this time. You're going to Mystic Falls and sources say one of The Originals has been spotted there. And when one of them is there, others follow eventually. Pick any one of them, the strongest among vampires. They're the best for the sacrifice. Imagine the power created on their sacrifice, hell we may even resurrect two people at once. This is a perfect plan—"

"Oh my god, stop it." she sighed, tone tired. "You and baseless ideas. I'm not wooing any original nor am I pushing them on an altar. I'm not going to let Richard do what he did to Kerem to someone I love again. So, excuse me, I am so not interested in your world-class plan. You go and woo one of them yourself. Buh-bye."

"Lucy, hear me out—"

She hung up the phone, not bothering to listen any further as she muttered to herself. "Fucking bitch."

"