lvii

CHAPTER LVII

If I wake up the next morning and don't find you next to me, I am telling you, I'm going to be super mad.

You must have heard of the five stages of grief

You must have heard of the five stages of grief. Today, let's talk about the five stages of shock. They're quite the same to be honest (and totally made up by me, duh!).

First, Denial. "What are you saying, Nik?" Lucy let out an unconvincing laugh, her voice wavering a little too much. "That's nothing to joke about, god."

"Lucy," he said in a firm voice, "I would never joke about something like that."

Anger. "Then why now?!" she exclaimed, hopping off the bedside table and turning to look at him. "Cut the crap, Niklaus. Don't say all this just to make me stay."

"Oh, for god's sake," he groaned, palming his forehead, "none of this is a joke or a prank or a lie just to make you stay. Alright?"

Bargaining. "But, it's impossible, goddamn it." Lucy said, exasperated. "You're a vampire. Vampires don't procreate. I can't be pregnant. This is a major misunderstanding."

"But, I'm a werewolf too, love. Half vampire - half werewolf. This is nature's loophole." he shrugged. "Look, your theory is proved right. You said this yourself on the day of our first kiss."

Depression. "But," Lucy murmured, sinking onto the mattress, "I don't understand. It's-It's just-"

"Love," he sighed, occupying the place next to hers, "I know it will take time to process, because this is just so shocking. For both of us. I already had hours to digest this fact. Take your time. It's alright."

"Yeah." she nodded her head slowly, forehead creased.

"Look, here, take this." Nik said pulling a first response pregnancy kit out of his pocket, "I grabbed it on the way home just to be hundred percent sure. Confirm it. Go."

Lucy looked at him for a moment before responding. "That's-um. . . Yeah. I'll check."

She took the kit from his hand before disappearing into the washroom.

Lucy reemerged a minute or five later, wiping her hands on a towel as Niklaus looked at her expectantly.

"Well, what does it say?" he asked, eyes hopeful.

"It says positive." she said slowly, meeting his eyes as a smile broke across the latter's face.

"Look! I told you." he grinned, coming to stand in front of her. "Cheer up a little now."