xlv

CHAPTER XLV

Is my father in town? Is he- is he doing all this?

❝ Is my father in town? Is he- is he doing all this? ❞

tw : panic attack

Memorial ceremonies were never Lucy's favourite. In fact, she hated them. The smoke billowing from the candles in everybody's hands, the photograph of the gone member, it all just reminded her of what they'd lost, whom they'd lost.

But today, sitting amongst the countless mourning members of the Mystic Falls town, Lucy hated something more - not being with Carol at her last moment, not being able to see her off. Hell, she even had no idea when the funeral was or if it was already done.

She could remember the last time they'd have a heart to heart, good conversation, but it felt like it happened ages ago. They spoke in passings, sharing friendly greetings, and a few words about the current happenings. But, that, that real conversation they'd had was a long time ago. Lucy had not even seen Carol, let alone talk to her, on her last day on this earth.

Lucy felt cold, and alone, at her seat, even though she was surrounded by so many people of the town. Niklaus wasn't by her side, not that it was his fault to be not able to make it here.

He'd gone into a frenzy moments later after Lucy's proclaiment of the contents of the 'invitation', and had begun pacing the room in absolute worry as Lucy had blankly stared at the invitation not believing her eyes. But was snapped out it when Nik had dropped to the floor, his eyes wild and breath heaving, muttering something along the lines of 'we need to leave this town' and Lucy had held him close, trying to pacify him as she tried to keep her tears at bay. She had left for the memorial ceremony about three hours later when Nik had finally calmed down and had fallen asleep out of exhaustion; and she had almost begged Vaishali to look after Brie and make sure that she does not in any way possible happen to stumble upon Niklaus while she was gone.

Niklaus' frantic pleas of leaving this town in the middle of his panic attack worried Lucy too much. She feared something very wrong was going on and Nik had come to know of it and thus his persuasions to leave the town. First the whole council gets blown up, and now the Mayor dies. The coincidence seemed too coincidental to be a coincidence. Something was very wrong.

Lucy had come to know of the cause of Carol's death by picking it up from the whispers of the town members. It was almost humorous, that when Lucy was afraid that Carol would get hurt due to the supernatural dwellings, she just died of drowning, a simple human cause, drowning.

The memorial service was yet to start and people were still filling in and out in bundles. Most people were already seated, including herself, with the exception of a few, amongst whom Lucy soon spotted the person she'd been wanting to see since morning, Tyler. After all, he had lost his mother.