li

CHAPTER LI

None of that was your fault.

"I'm sorry

"I'm sorry." Lucy said, continuing when he didn't respond. "I'm sorry for being an idiot and acting impulsively, denying our relationship downstairs. I'm just scared."

"Of what?" he asked after a moment of silence.

"My father." she said with a regretful sigh. "He has the tendency of ruining things for me. I can't let him do it again this time."

"I know you would think me crazy." Lucy continued. "But Richard can go any lengths to ruin my life. He'd done it before and I know for sure he'll do it again in a heartbeat."

"You think he would sacrifice me under that 'loved one for a loved one'?" Nik asked softly.

"Yes." she said guiltily. "Moreover, you're an Original. Even more powerful. If he comes to know of us, he'll go to any lengths then."

"Love," she heard him sigh. "he can't hurt me. He could never. I assure you of that."

"I know that. But I know him too. He has his way with words. He can make me hurt you." she confessed, her breath hitched.

"I know you'll never hurt me, love."

"See? You trust me. And if Richard comes to know this, he'll force me to hurt you," she began to cry silently, " and I can't lose you, okay? I can't lose someone I love, again."

"Did- did you just say that you love me?"

She fell silent, realising what she'd just said.

"I'm opening the door, okay?" he said as she shuffled aside obediently.

He slid the door open, standing, towering over her.

"Oh, Lucy," he sighed with a soft smile, sitting next to her.

"Don't cry, please." he whispered, caressing her cheek as his thumb wiped her tears and he hugged her tightly, kissing her head. "I'm never leaving you, okay? You're stuck with this annoying hybrid forever."

"Annoyingly cute hybrid." she laughed through her tears which soaked his t-shirt.

"And I love you too, Lucy." he said, intertwining their hands. "Always and forever."

"Always and forever." she sniffled, snuggling deeper into his chest.

"You know, I have a confession of mine to make too." Nik sighed, his hands circling around her as he rested his chin upon her head.

"Some old family curse?" she joked, laughing.

"No." he chuckled. "It's just that I went to Tyler's today."