l

CHAPTER L

I don't know what to believe.

There is an intense silence that overlaps everything

There is an intense silence that overlaps everything. Even though the music was blaring in the background, even though drunk people were stumbling around, laughing obnoxiously, there was still this heavy silence that hung over them.

Niklaus first noticed the panic cross Lucy's face. Then some anger and then, nothing. Absolutely nothing. Just an empty stare which held nothing but resentment, hatred and stoicism.

And he gulped, because this was not the Lucy he knew. This was not the Lucy who was dancing with him moments ago. And this was utterly not the Lucy that Brie called Mom.

This Lucy was void of any emotion but hate. And this hate was totally and completely directed towards her father and the man accompanying him, who by the looks of it, seemed to be his boyfriend.

Lucy stepped forward, her jaw set hard, her strides powerful, not breaking eye contact until she was right in front of them.

"Why are you here?" she said, or almost gritted out, her voice low, imposing.

But Richard seemed unaffected. Not even recoiling by the excess of loathing in her voice. Perhaps, he was used to it.

"Well, well, Lucia, don't be so unwelcoming." Richard Wright clicked his tongue loudly, shaking his head in mock disappointment. "At least to us, my dear. We're here for just a family reunion. You, me, Dietrich and my lovely granddaughter, what's her name again, oh, yeah, Brie."

Lucy visibly stiffened. And everyone noticed this.

And Richard smiled, the most evil and contemptuous smile.

He was enjoying this. Very much.

"Oh, oh, no need to call her right now," he said even though she made absolutely no movement whatsoever, "we already had the privilege for the introductions. We ran into her in the garden, which you've turned into an utterly disgusting playhouse, might I add. She was, by far, the most tolerable kid we had met."

"Don't-" Lucy took a step forward in anger. She was fuming. "Don't you dare even speak of her let alone speak to her. Stay away from her-"

"Why?" Richard prompted, his tone flaring this time. "I have full rights to meet my granddaughter. You can't stop me-"

"Yes, I can." she spitted out, her chest heaving up and down in anger. "I can stop you I have every right to-" she wagged a threatening finger into his face "-stop you, your boyfriend-"

"Don't-" a powerful hand grabbed onto her arm, twisting it painfully. "-don't you dare. Keep that finger of yours down."

That. That is when Niklaus decided to intervene.