lxxix

CHAPTER LXXIX

Touché.

"Care to explain why we are invited to Father Kieran's funeral?" Lucy fumed, staring at Niklaus

"Well, funerals are usually to see off the dead-"

"-ugh." she groaned loudly. "Don't go about joking, Niklaus. I could have saved him if you had had the basic manners of not picking up somebody else's calls."

"You were in the washroom and I'm pretty sure the call was quite urgent. It seemed fitting to pick it up."

"Well, then, you should have taken me with you!"

"Father Keiran's behaviour was uncertain and rabid. I couldn't risk your safety." he said casually, turning off the bedside lamps as he settled comfortably under the covers.

"He is dead, Klaus." Lucy glared at him. "Do you realise how serious that is?"

"I know. And I'm not saying anything against him or mocking him or anything like that. Today morning's incidents were enlightening enough to realise that it was unsafe."

"It was a goddamn nosebleed! Just a single nosebleed which is common!"

"No, it's not."

Lucy sighed exasperatedly. "I could have saved him, Nik. But you chose to not inform me. And now he's dead."

"The hex returned, Lucy." he said softly. "He was about to kill Camille. He was beyond saving. There was nothing you could have done to save him."

"I could have done several things!" she yelled. "But you stopped me from helping. Cami particularly asked for my help and yet you chose to keep me unaware of all. And even after that, I get to know the truth through the fucking invitation for the funeral."

"The hex wouldn't have been erased even by his death." Niklaus explained, his voice calm. "No spell would have worked. What if the hex would have been transferred to you? I couldn't take the risk."

"You don't get to make my decisions." Lucy said firmly. "I am the witch. I know what to do, when to do, how to do and if to do it or not!"

"You can get angry with me all you want but I did what I did to keep you safe." he said firmly.

"Go to hell." she spat in anger and left the room.

"Lucy, c'mon-!"

◇◇◆◇◆◇◇

Lucy's look for the chapter ≈