lxxxii

CHAPTER LXXXII

What kind of mother am I. . .?

“The witches have created this illusion

“The witches have created this illusion. We have to break it.” Elijah muttered as he paced up and down the cemetery.

“I can feel them here. Just out of reach.” Niklaus murmured blankly, as he held his head in his hands, his tired body slumped against the wall, and his whole body sagged onto the ground he was sitting on.

“Brother,” Elijah said firmly, as he kneeled in front of the younger Mikaelson and placed a hand on his shoulder, “you have to pull yourself together. I understand what you're going through but—”

“—no.” Klaus gritted, shoving his hand off himself. “You could never possibly understand this. I am the reason behind all of this. This is all my fault.”

“She—She kept telling me how she didn't trust Francesca. She repeatedly told me, and insisted that I drop my Plan B. She didn't even wish for me to give Genevieve my blood. But, but what did I do?” Nik’s voice broke as a tear fell down his cheek. “I failed her. I gave Genevieve my blood and she weakened me. If I had simply listened to Lucy. . . none of this would have happened. I would have saved her and she would have been alive. . .”

“Niklaus. This is not your fault. None of us saw this coming.” Elijah said firmly. “Blaming yourself is not going to help. Right now, we have to begin searching for your daughter, my niece. We have to save her. We’ve passed through here twice already. And we're running out of time.”

“Then we move faster.” Niklaus said in a blank tone.

“Or, we just move smarter.” Lucy's voice commented, making the pair freeze as they turned around to spot her standing in the doorway, her neck coated with dried-up blood.

Niklaus looked up at her in shock, before he strode up to her in quick strides.

His fingers grazed her cheek as if checking if she was real, and not some other illusion created by the witches, before they relaxed and tenderly cupped her cheek in assurance of her presence.

“I'm here.” Lucy breathed out, nodding at him softly before her eyes fluttered close as he leaned down to tenderly kiss the top of her head.

Elijah slowly made his way ahead as the pair slowly let go of each other, his eyes scanning up and down her bruised body in hidden disbelief. “How? Is this your magic?”

“No.” she shook her head gravely. “I did have the revival spell on myself, but the baby's blood was in me. I could no longer feel my magic. It's gone. All I feel is this insatiable hunger.”