xlix

CHAPTER XLIX

You know you can tell me anything, right?

The whole garden was laden with giggling voices of exhilarated children, their feets moving rapidly as they chased each other, slided down the swings and gobbled up the sweets of extreme sugar overflow

Brie giggled, running backwards as she stuck her tongue out teasingly at her chaser. "Catch me if you can!"

"I'll win! You'll see!" the petite girl chasing after her in her hefty cinderella costume, huffed out between gasps of breaths.

"You won't!" she stuck her tongue at her again, still running backwards, "I will-"

Brie was cut short as she collided into a figurine, falling to the thick grass layer as the girl chasing her stopped short.

"Careful, child." a gruff male voice huffed out, towering over her as Brie blinked up at the newcomer.

"Sorry." Brie mumbled, getting up as she dusted her robe.

"It's alright." he nodded stiffly, ready to change paths before Brie stalled him.

"I like your hair." she mused, gazing up at his long silky light brown locks.

A muscle twitched in his mouth, but he didn't allow it break into a smile, and just managed with a monotonous, "Thanks.", and was all ready to leave before a hand on his shoulder weighed him down and Brie watched as another man, around the same mid age as the first one, whispered something in his ear.

"Ehm," he began stiffly when the second man was done whispering into his ear. "child, do you know who is the host of the party?"

"Yeah." Brie nodded enthusiastically. "It's my mom."

He shared a look with the other man.

"And what's her name?" the other, white trimmed hair one, asked.

"Lucy Wright."

"You were right." he almost smirked at the blond man.

The blond man eyed her scathingly and took a step away almost in disgust.

Brie frowned before her friend piped up from behind her motioning to Brie. "It's her birthday today."

"Happy birthday, dear." the white haired man offered her a warm smile. "Can you take us to your mother?"

"Yes, of course." she nodded. "Do you know her?"

"Yes, we're some old acquaintances." he nodded good naturedly. "Now, please lead the way."