012 :: HAPPY FIFTEENTH.

RUNAWAY
CHAPTER TWELVE...!

!

❝ SEASON TWO ❞

❝ SEASON TWO ❞

       "YOU'RE seriously leaving?"

Haley and Aaron stood outside of Jennie's room, the blonde's face filled with shock. Jennie wasn't in ear-shot of the two, as she sat on her bed, grinning as she played with her baby brother.

"There's a case"

"Jennie's birthday is tomorrow, Aaron." Haley told him.

"I've taken too many days off, Haley, I" Aaron sighed, falling silent. Deep down, he knew Haley was right. The thought of missing his own daughter's birthday killed him. And if he could stay with her, he would. Without a doubt, he would. "Jennie- she'll be fine. She won't care. I already made sure she was okay with it, and she is"

"You see that? You seethat's not normal, Aaron!" Haley told him. Her voice was as loud as a whisper, but her emotion was strong, "You're her father! She should care!"

The two fell silent, both looking into the girl's room to see happy look plastered on Jennie's face as she and her little brother played with his toy cars.

Haley then looked back at Aaron, "She should care, Aaron. A 14-year-old girl should care that her dad's going to miss her birthday. But she doesn't─"

"Because she knows she always comes first for me─"

"No, because she's used to it." The stepmom continued, "She has grown up, thinking it's normal for her father to constantly choose his job over his life at home. So, you let me know when you actually want to start teaching her that she should come first."

And with that, Haley walked away.

Hotch's hand moved up to rub his temple. He then looked back into his daughter's room.

The sight made a rollercoaster of emotions rush through him. He always wondered why he never ever heard a complaint escape the young girl's mouth. Sure, she sometimes wouldn't be able to hide her disappointed look on her face, but she'd usually cover it up with cracking a joke, or something of the sort.