001 :: FIRST DAY.

RUNAWAY
CHAPTER ONE...!

!

❝ FIRST DAY , SEASON NINE ❞

       JENNIE HOTCHNER stared at the building longer than she'd like to admit, it's overall facade intimidating her. It wasn't too tall, or too meticulously put together— yet it still made her just a bit uneasy.

The grand text of Briscoe County PD stared back at her. At her neatly brushed hair, her newly-bought black blazer, and the briefcase her Uncle Dave lent her. Her phone was pressed against her ear, as the person on the receiving end could hear her sigh.

"You ready?" Rachel asked the girl, on the other line. She herself was also in a similar situation, being nearly 2,500 kilo-meters from Jennie, back in New York. The curly-haired girl was standing outside her own formidable structure that also caused butterflies to swarm her stomach— the structure being the outside of the NYPD's 19th precinct.

Both the girls were starting their first day at work. Both the girls refused to hang up the call, and step foot in the buildings just yet.

"As I'll ever be." Jennie breathed out heavily in reply. There was a prolonged pause between the two, neither of them saying anything.

"We're gonna be okay at this, right?"

"Who? Us?" Jennie scoffed, trying to convince herself just as much as she was trying to convince Rachel, "Psh. We're cool as a cucumber. Cooler even. Cucumbers can't even breathe. They don't even have a heartbeat. We do."

"Yeah. Psh. Cucumbers, such idiots that don't have heartbeats." Rachel nodded quickly, her phone still pressed strongly against her ear, "We have nice, normal heartbeats. I mean, we've practically mastered the art of Zen meditation."

Jennie voiced her agreement with a small "mhm", and the two went silent again.

The girl watched as the people of Briscoe County passed her. She just flew in about a week prior, moving into her new, temporary apartment.
She still hadn't gotten used to the new city.