012 :: TEMPTATION.

RUNAWAY
CHAPTER TWELVE...!

!

❝ TEMPTATION , SEASON FIVE ❞

FIVE ❞

"THE funeral was beautiful."

Jennie Hotchner never really understood it when people said stuff like that. Because to her— a funeral was a funeral. It was where people went to honor a dead person. It was a reminder of the fact that the person would no longer be with them. A reminder that the saying "tis' better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all" was inaccurate in all aspects.

Call her crazy, but she didn't think there was anything beautiful about it.

As she smiled at her baby brother, sitting on the couch in front of him as he played with his cousins, she could feel a hand being placed on her back, turning around to see her dad.

"JenJen, can you make sure Jack gets something to eat, please?" Aaron asked her, Rossi standing behind him, as the two needed to have a chat outside.

Jennie nodded, "Yeah, of course."

"Thanks. Make sure to get something to eat too." He told her, before walking off to the balcony. Rossi gave Jennie's shoulder a squeeze, before following the man.

She watched the two walk onto the balcony, before her gaze went back to Jack, "You hungry, bud?"

As the boy nodded, Jennie got up from her spot on the couch, holding out her hand so Jack could interlock his fingers with hers. She then lead him to the buffet, picking out a plate, and placing the food he wanted on it.

As she scooped up some Mac N' Cheese on his plate, she could sense someone coming up to her, turning around to see Derek Morgan.

She gave him a soft smile, before turning back to the food on the table.

"How you holding up, kid?" He asked her.

"I'm good."

"You're— good?" He quirked a brow, as Jennie nodded. He kept his eyes on the girl, pausing for a moment, before letting out a soft chuckle, "You know, you've said that word so many times in the past week, it's doesn't even sound real anymore."