Chapter 17: Hoof flowers

It was a bit cold at night. It was also raining.

The lights were a warm yellow.

There were several bowls on the countertop in the kitchen. There was a fire in the stove, and a stone pot was placed on top. Steam was rising towards the lid of the pot, whistling as it rose.

The top half of the kitchen was filled with hazy, white steam. Only the bottom half of the kitchen was free and clear of it.

Gu Qingchi sat on a short stool in front of the stove. When he was sitting like this, he was even shorter than the stovetop. He even had a little blanket around his shoulders. When he wrapped himself up, he could hide his entire body behind the stove.

Not even the top of his head could be seen from outside the kitchen.

He was right in front of the burning stove, the fire reflected on his face. His porcelain-white face was covered with a layer of red, like rouge.

Xie Luyu stood beside Gu Qingchi, leaning down slightly. Half of his body was hidden in the steam. He wrapped the lid of the stone pot with a towel. When he opened the lid, both the gurgling sound and the fragrance of the soup poured out of the pot.

Even the sound of rain outside was drowned out.

Lotus root and pig's trotter soup. The pig's trotters were cooked thoroughly, and the lotus root and various other ingredients melted together in the pot. The bubbling soup was light and not greasy. It could be seen that the cook was experienced. The food was handled well.

Xie Luyu picked up a spoon and tasted it.

The steam lingered around him. Xie Luyu was facing sideways. The side of his crew cut had a pattern shaved into it. It was a line that started out wide before narrowing towards the end, like a knife's blade traveling through his hair. It made him look a little intimidating.

But now, he was wearing a Peppa Pig apron, holding the lid in one hand and the soup ladle in the other, concentrating on the soup's flavor.

If a picture of him like this were to spread, it would definitely end up trending. Not even the most unreliable tabloids would dare to write something as unbelievable as this.

Who do you think you're kidding, that's Xie Luyu.

Since the day he entered the entertainment industry, he had been domineering and arrogant. Now, even his name carried a cool and arrogant connotation.

The cool and arrogant Xie ge smacked his lips and said with satisfaction.

"That's about right."

Gu Qingchi was sitting on the small stool by Xie Luyu's feet, covered by a small blanket.

The small kitchen was warmed by the fire.

This kind of atmosphere made Gu Qingchi slowly calm down. It had a very reassuring feeling, and he was gradually able to break out of the chaotic emotional state he was in.

The unceasing stomach pain didn't irritate him anymore.

He covered up those negative feelings, separated himself from those negative emotions.

The fire in the stove was burning vigorously. Occasionally, the burning firewood would make a crackling noise. Gu Qingchi watched the fire and started to want to doze off.

The soup was just about finished cooking. Xie Luyu put the soup ladle into a small bowl on the counter. Then, he picked up another spoon, filled another bowl with soup, and handed the warm porcelain bowl to Gu Qingchi.

"Hold onto it for now, warm your hands. Wait for it to cool down before drinking."

The sides of the bowl were very thick, so the boiling hot soup didn't burn. Only a comfortable amount of warmth seeped through the bowl.