Chapter 38. Too Late

The dreamland of bloody flowers and bloody landscapes—

It had all melted away into darkness. Even the fleshy and mucus-spilt neck that Lucilline had tightened his grip on... vanished. Rachelle's figure had disappeared, like a droplet of clear transcending water, falling into a pool of the same water, blending everything together.

Lucilline withdrew his outstretched hand.

The blood staining his palms had also been washed away. There was only darkness, as the entire world had lost colours.

"What is your purpose in disturbing my dreams?" Lucilline frowned.

Only the echo of his voice greeted him back. In this eternal darkness, time seemed to slow down and extend to all roots of the soil. There was no warmth, only a numb cold, which gripped Lucilline by his jaw and creeped into his every bone and marrow.

"Hehehe." Finally, a giggle responded. "Lucilline Rubius, you are a valuable asset to the demons. However, it seemed that the intervention of those... reincarnators have changed your heart. It is a pity that you still aren't shaken by me."

Lucilline's golden eyes thinned.

He scoffed, facing against the arrogant-sounding darkness, "I'm surprised that a demon knows of the existences of reincarnators. However, your hallucinations are a waste of time. Now that I am aware of my fate in the book, I won't make the same mistakes."

His face remained indifferent to the doubtful gaze casted upon him. "I've once read that there are different types of abilities that demons could use. The ability to dive into a target's consciousness and influence their dreams... we call these demons mind demons. Although these hallucinations have once plagued my mind in the past, I won't be fazed now."

The mind demon lurking in the darkness seemed to pause.

Indeed, Lucilline have truly proven that he could withstand the hallucinations of a mind demon. There was no way he'd fall for the same tricks.

"Oh, you seem to have the wrong idea." The mind demon snapped. "Hallucinations are false visuals. But what I've shown you... it's all the truth. From the tea party between Rachelle and her dear friend Brielle... Rachelle being cut up to her death... and to the nauseating feeling you feel due to tasting the blood, these are all real."

A sharp pang pierced into Lucilline's mind.

He couldn't help but falter in the darkness, kneeling on one knee. It felt like a wall pressed against his head, constantly ramming downwards. The pain screwed diligently into his brain, and sucked the strength in his legs away.

"I am done toying with you." A chuckle escaped the mind demon's throat. "In the end, you, Lucilline Rubius will not escape your chosen fate. It happened at least once, so it will happen again."

The black-haired nobleman clutched onto a portion of his hair. His mind felt as if it was ripped in halves, and a knife stabbed itself cleanly into his brain. Lucilline let out a small groan, then felt himself slipping away from his consciousness——

——His body hurled up from bed, and he gasped... awake from the nightmare.

Sunlight peered in through the closed curtains. It was morning.

*****

Lucilline rubbed his eyes.

His left hand was once again applied with the powder that the Crown Prince borrowed him. On the cabinet table, he left his gloves there. They were a thin yet stretching fabric, sewn in all black.