Chapter 82. Am I a Demon?

The silence at the front of the school was simply deafening.

All the noble students held their breaths without realizing it, their faces brimming in paleness and fright. The figure of their school's most beautiful and honourable student—Lucillline Rubius—had been drenched into a hideous mess. His once sublime locks of black hair were now like seaweeds sold on the market, and his pair of golden eyes had dark mist shrouding its pupils.

Daphnne was taken aback.

She did not expect to be stared down by such hateful eyes—glaring at her as if she'd slaughtered this noble's whole family. The brown-haired teenage girl shuddered in discomfort. "I really did not mean to hit you..." She hugged her own arms, trying to cease the trembling of her skin.

Lucilline stepped forwards. The sound of his leather shoes against the cobblestone ground was domineering, like a drum thrumming against the transfer girl's heart.

Daphnne lost control over her nerves. Perhaps she was hallucinating, but from the corner of her eyes, she noticed a dark mist shrouding across the noble teenager's uniform. Then, she frantically gazed up at the beautiful boy's face—

Two pairs of bloodshot eyes—no, the irises were scarlet red, as if thick viscous blood lapped over itself until twirling into a circle.

"...No!" A cry torn out of the transfer girl's throat.

Before she could react, her body fell over. A push toppled her straight into the water fountain, and a small eruption of water burst up, gently caressing the cerulean blue skies. The brown-haired girl flailed desperately in the water fountain. No matter how hard she tried, the layer of water pushed down at her, as if it had grown a consciousness and pinned her to stay put underneath.

All of a sudden, a hand reached deep in the water, pulling her out.

Violent coughs ripped out of the girl, who clenched at her collar. Her hair had been soaked wet, clutching close to her skull. Daphnne panted, her chest heaving up and down. From her mouth, small puddles of water were spat out.

Lucilline gazed at the transfer student with contempt. He sneered, "Apologies. I didn't mean to push you either." Contemplation seethed at the corner of his lips. "Let's call it even, shall we?" His smile felt insincere.

Daphnne fell to her knees, panting for every breath. The air entering her lungs made her feel more alive, as if the earlier loom of death faded away.

The students nearby gossiped with hushed whispers. They huddled away from Lucilline, who walked away from the transfer girl's sorry appearance. "I've never seen Third Master Rubius so angry before." "We better stay away from him." "That poor transfer student..." "Too bad for her. A commoner will always be at the bottom of the hierarchy."

Those words suffocated Daphnne, forcing her to chortle on her saliva.

She coughed, and her eyes stung uncontrollably. Her hands trembled, as if a shudder ran through her entire body. Strange. Daphnne bit her lips. All she can see was the back of the black-haired noble, gradually disappearing from her view. Why do I feel like I've seen him before?

*****

Lucilline stripped off his black sweater, leaving only his white shirt dry. He twisted his sweater, allowing water to seep out of the rich fabric. Droplets of water puddled on the cobblestone ground. Lucilline watched it with an empty stare.

Just what was I doing earlier? He lifelessly gazed up the skies.

The dark mist slowly merged in his body, sticking in the marrows of his slender figure. Lucilline's eyes gradually returned to gold, as he fell in a trance.