Chapter 54. Cry

"Your leg is bruised, but no vessels were ruptured." Daphnne checked the black-haired nobleman's knee, holding the back of his ankle gently while straightening out the leg. The heroine couldn't help but sweat, as she felt an intense glare burn through her back...

"...yes, Az?" She laughed nervously.

Azalea frowned, his eyebrows furrowed while deep in thought.

Jacques stepped forwards. The mage's light blue hair was swept behind his lean back in a swift movement, while he also bent down before Lucilline's injured leg. "I could help heal-"

A quiet monotonous groan grated behind him.

Azalea made a low creaking sound, his baritone throat rumbling in danger. His amethyst purple eyes glowed, like the pair of an angry wolf.

Jacques, "..." He was speechless.

"It's fine, Jacques." Lucilline responded softly, tearing the mage's attention away from the male lead. He tucked a strand of black hair behind a pearly ear, "I can't rely on your magic all the time. If you use your spells constantly on me, you will lose energy. I can't have you waste your energy on me."

He wore a small smile, which seemed to calm the atmosphere in an instant.

Jacques was mesmerized, then blinked, his long eyelashes quivering like feathers riding the wind.

"Well," He shyly looked away, his light pink eyes fluttering with shame. It's not wasteful if my magic is used for you.

Azalea's face was as dark as a pot. He could already imagine all the lovey-dovey thoughts inside the mage's eyes. It pained him.

*****

They bid farewell after reuniting and chatting.

Azalea helped with the herbal shop, while Daphnne continued running her business. The heroine noticed that the white-haired knight looked longingly at Lucilline's back figure, like a puppy watching their owner walking away. Then the door closed shut, and Azalea collapsed behind the front counter.

Daphnne: ??? Is it really that bad? Won't you meet Lucilline again someday?

Outside, Lucilline, Augustine, Willow, Jacques, Hugo, and Farrah had gone to walk back home.

Jacques and Hugo had left to their separate ways, deciding to return back home and rest. The long-haired mage held his little brother's small hand, a copper bell ringing in the air.

"Why don't we treat ourselves to some dinner at a restaurant?" Willow pointed out.

Lucilline was puzzled, a strand dangling over his forehead. Whenever he became confused, his locks of hair seemed to act on its own, always falling in between his two eyes. Augustine recognized this strand of hair as an ahoge—which is a piece of hair that always acts according to its host's emotions (sourced by several mangas he'd read before).

"Why not?" Augustine coughed, his low voice attracting both the two companions.

Willow suddenly perked up. "Oh yeah, Young Master hasn't even tried his first sip of alcohol yet!" Her eyes shone with excitement. "Aren't you curious about how beer tastes?"

Lucilline's eyebrows furrowed.

"Don't we have antique wine at home though—"