Chapter 78. Touch the Stars, a Bell Rings

Author's Note:
I'm sorry for being away for the past 10 days! I was a bit busy with ruining my life lol. To make up for it, I'll publish two chapters.

*****

It has been eight years since Lucilline Rubius was born.

He was a shy child, one who rarely ever spoken or opened his mouth. His pursed shut lips made the teachers exasperated, while the other children could only give up talking to him. Lucilline Rubius was a loner. He had no friends, and the world paled in contrast to his indifferent gaze.

"Let's go visit your mother's friend today, Lucy!" A cheery voice snapped the eight-year-old boy from his drifting mind. His pair of golden eyes reflected in a similar pair. Rachelle's cascade of inky black hair resembled her youngest son's, and her slender fingers intertwined in the latter's. "Your mother's friend lives nearby, and she runs a flower shop. She also has a daughter! Who knows, you two might get along!"

Upon hearing the last sentence, Lucilline jumped down from his seat and ran off.

"Wait— Hey, Lucy! Where are you going!?!" Rachelle's desperate cry sounded in the manor.

Meanwhile, Lucilline continued racing past the hallway. His small heels pitter pattered across the cobblestone floor like gentle droplets of rain, and the little boy hugged his stack of books to his chest.

A frustrated blush bruised his ears. I don't need a friend. He reassured to himself, his small hands clenching the cover of his books tighter. His knuckles burned white, appearing aghast like porcelain glass. I have brother and sister... who even needs friends... The eight-year-old child blew air into his cheeks, allowing his face to bloat up.

In the end, Lucilline ducked into his hiding spot—a secret abode made of blankets in his wardrobe. The black-haired boy hugged his knees, his stack of books piled by his side.

Lucilline lit up a light in his wardrobe, allowing his eyes to glaze over his books. The books were all focused on the history of Lydia Kingdom. His favourite one though centred around one of the most important figures—his mother.

He read that Rachelle; in order to save an entire orphanage of commoners; delved straight into a building of fire and helped the children all escape without a single death.

She was celebrated as the most beautiful woman, and has the purest heart in Lydia Kingdom.

The whole book was dedicated to the wondrous acts of Rachelle Rubius, and her journey in rescuing and helping commoners, despite the snide and spite that nobles often directed towards them.

Lucilline shook his legs. I want to be like mom.

Over the past three years, he had continuously ran away from his mother. Rachelle wouldn't stop trying to get him to hang out with other children! She tried to set him up with other children, constantly pestering him to gain friends.

However, Lucilline despised that.

He did not need any friends.

He was perfectly fine by himself.

"I've finally found you, Lucy!" All of a sudden, his secret tent was broken apart! His blankets were plucked off one by one, and Rachelle laughed victoriously.

The little boy scrambled up onto his feet, but was quickly captured.

Before he'd known it, Lucilline was already seated in a carriage.

*****

The trip outside Duke Rubius' manor was like a carousel, with racing white ponies circling in their magnificent slick manes. Lucilline could hardly believe his eyes. He rarely traversed so far away from home, but with his mother by his side, the trip mirrored a festive dream settling within the depths of his consciousness. Rachelle sowed a seed in his heart, and gradually, it began to flourish.