Chapter 87. Double Kill!

Author's Note: EXAMS ARE FINALLY OVER!!! 😭

*****

CLANG! The sound of blades crashing into one another screamed in the hallway, and illuminating sparks bounced off from the contact.

"Willow! Stay back!" Dashing mahogany red hair flashed across the maidservant's vision. A handsome spear slashed forwards, forcing the cloaked figure with the cross to stumble backwards. Scarletta swung the hilt of her weapon across her shoulders, the speed too fast for the naked eye to follow. In an instant, she brilliantly decapitated the intruder's head off.

A fountain of blood exploded from the decapitation.

Both Scarletta and Willow jumped back to avoid the splash. "There are intruders in the manor," the eldest Rubius sibling scoffed, "Willow, please escort Lucy out of the manor. Ratt and I will take care of this." Her voice was stiflingly cold, unable to let any disagreements through.

Willow nodded, then scurried away.

Her silver figure was fleeting, like a meteorite swimming across the boundless skies. What in the world are those intruders? They are hearing a cross... All of a sudden, something seemed to click in Willow's kind. The Holy Church. The cross is their representative sign, but just why are they attacking us?

The maidservant fled past the hallway.

She quickly made it to her Young Master's bed chamber.

"Young Master!" Willow bursted in the door, her face twisted in concern.

"Mmm... what is it..." Lucilline hadn't even fallen asleep for long. His locks of hair were entangled like a bird's nest, and his golden eyes only opened a thin slit. Before he could react, Willow seized him by the arm, then dragged him out of bed and onto the floor.

"Young Master! We must leave immediately!" For some odd reason, Willow could not ease the worry in her heart.

Their figures—one dressed in a maid dress and the other in a white nightgown—dashed across the corridor. Silhouettes of moonlight white swam across the murky hallway, as heels clicked against the marble ground. "This might be abrupt, Young Master," Willow began explaining, "but we must evacuate from the premises this instant! There are intruders who somehow managed to infiltrate in the Rubius manor..."

"But how is that possible?" Lucilline was shocked awake. "There are over 50,000 traps laid on the mountain..."

Willow fell silent.

She had no idea how to reassure her Young Master. If the enemy is capable of entering the building completely unharmed from the traps... then they must be super strong!

The young maidservant pulled out a dagger from under her skirt. If anyone dares to charge at us, I won't hesitate to slice them down!

All of a sudden, a white cloak fell from the ceiling.

It gently descended on the ground, almost weightless like a feather. There were dark limbs extending out from the sleeves of the cloak. "Stop there." That voice was low and unfamiliar. The man dressed in the white cloak unsheathed his sword, a sharp blade pointing directly at the two prey.

Lucilline tensed. He noticed the sign of a cross upon the white cloak. The Holy Church? Why—

Before he could continue his thoughts, the tip of a blade hovered before his golden iris.

CLANG! Willow blocked the sword with her dagger, sparks illuminating between the two blades' contact. "Stay close to me, Young Master! There might be other intruders nearby!"