Chapter 90. But I Do

An explosion of power coagulated at one place. It was at first a small bundle, with festering breezes swirling about to leave traces of their trails. However, it evolved into whipping winds leaving a deep cut within the burrows of cobblestone walls.

It did not take long for it to blow up. The power left destruction in its wake—the underground prison became akin to an abandoned ruin painted in red.

Lucilline watched his hand curl into a relaxed clench, then unfurling again. He could not fully control the powers he'd obtained from those three demons. In fact, the ability to control shadows and reanimate his body felt foreign and unknown. He probed the unknown power of demons, and something inside of himself clicked.

This set off a mass explosion of demonic power—shattering the cages of confinement (quite literally).

"Enjoy it?" A voice spoke in his head.

The three demons he consumed—Miss A., Nineteen, and November—were not completely devoured. Their consciousness lingered in his mind, and their voices often interfered in his thoughts.

"With our strengths, there is nothing you have to fear." Lucilline recognized this voice was Nineteen's; the elderly mind demon who'd lived off of the nightmares his mind produced. The black-haired nobleman felt irked, as if something clawed at his heart.

Do I really want this? He questioned it.

The voice of November scoffed, "You are already known as a murderer in the eyes of Lydia Kingdom. What more is there to think of?"

"But there is no point in having power." Lucilline raised his hand towards the sky, which had become visible due to the ceiling and rooftop being blown apart. "It wouldn't stop me from aging, and all my revenge would become meaningless once I die."

"Tch, we have lived for over a century, boy." Miss A. spoke in his mind. "Now that you have consumed us, it is only natural that your lifespan have increased."

"Oh right." Lucilline suddenly perked up. "How did I devour you?"

The three demons living rent free in his head: .....

They stared at one another with exasperation.

Nineteen coughed loudly. "You really don't know? I'd think you would know the truth about your ancestors."

This only gained the puzzlement of the black-haired nobleman.

At last, the three demons sighed simultaneously. "Forget it. Let's just say that your ancestors... well, not only your ancestors... were descendants of our demonic bloodline. All of the Grand Duke Houses—Delta, Rubius, and Leinhart—have portions of demonic blood. If you think about it, you Lucilline Rubius, is principally part demon."

Those pair of gold—no, red eyes now—had widened in shock.

"So I'm actually a demon?" Lucilline's gaze had flickered. "How is it that the Grand Duke Houses have demonic blood?"

The three demons fell silent.

It wasn't because they were dodging his question. It was because of the oppressive figure standing right before Lucilline—despite not being there a second ago. Streaks of snow white hair had flared upwards, almost resembling a candle-wax-coloured flame. A pair of crimson red eyes similar to Lucilline's had appeared from the crevices of shadow.

"What have you done?" A pale ghastly hand reached out.

The white-haired woman—no, demoness had seethed out a glare. "You are neither human nor demon—you smell familiar but also foreign." She could sense the three demons conflicting within the mind of the black-haired nobleman. "You..."