Chapter 74. Promise Me, Don't Forget Me

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!
【I WILL BE GOING ON A TEMPORARY HIATUS UNTIL THE END OF NEXT WEEK!】
This means no update next week, because it'll be my EXAM WEEK! Good luck to anyone who is studying or busy with their exams! ❤️

*****

"Boss!" The loud cry of a subordinate blared in the underground bunker. Several faces ashen with dirt turned at the same time, deadpanned with a serious look to see their own companion. A medium-sized man saluted before the back of a chair. Only a pair of crossed legs could be seen from his position.

The subordinate cursed inwardly, feeling the beads of sweat slide down his forehead. "Boss, I have bad news. Just now, the heroine have just disappeared from view."

In an instant, the tension in the bunker thickened, solid enough to be cut in half by a knife. Every single subordinate of K had grown dark, their faces serious and sickeningly pale.

The man seated on the chair turned his head. A 'K' was scarred across his cheek, situated near his high cheekbone. One would wonder just how painful it was... that scar couldn't have been made by anything other than a blade—just by looking at the ragged edges and sliced ends. New flesh had grown from beneath the cuts, but it wasn't enough to hide the engrossing 'K' on the skin.

"Do you have any clues to the heroine's disappearance?" The Boss huffed.

The subordinate bowed his head, "The heroine was in her herbal shop right before her disappearance. We've had other members take a look behind her vanishment, and it seems that before she disappeared, Daphnne was carrying a candle. It's as if something swept her off her feet... then brought her into the darkness—"

"Don't jump to conclusions!" Another subordinate interrupted. "It couldn't have been the..."

His voice trailed off.

They were all thinking the same thing—so there was no point in saying it aloud. The demons—they've infiltrated Lydia Kingdom since the attack on S Academy, and they must have dug deep into the kingdom within the past three years. Their claws have reached even to the heroine herself...

K was created to kill the villain, but they've failed at the most crucial point.

They had one of their members caught, inlaid with the Sequence Contract (Lucilline: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) you've been scammed), and now there was no way to end the incoming demon war without sacrificing one of their own team members.

"Tch, we should have killed Augustine a long time ago." A subordinate clicked his tongue at the roof of his mouth.

However, he was shunned by an onslaught of glares. Another subordinate kicked him at the knee, "How dare you! Didn't we say to not abandon any of our comrades!? Killing Augustine is not an option."

"Then what do we do? Do we just sit back and watch everything play out?"

That last question made all the subordinates sink into unspeakable dread. Their one mission had lost its meaning—so were they just supposed to witness the demon war to its end?

"However, all the major events are happening much sooner than ever." Another subordinate gave their thoughts. "In the novel, there was no attack at S Academy by the demons. Does this mean that the villain somehow influenced this... or is it another outside force like us reincarnators?"

"You jest," they were interrupted. "How could a reincarnator possibly subdue the demons?"

Silence returned to the bunker.

Two familiar figures had risen from the shadows. Bob and Bill carried two figures, both wrapped in blankets and covered completely. However, both figures were unmoving... probably a sculpture of some sort. Or perhaps they were not sculptures—but rather dead bodies? They set the two wrapped figures aside in a safe corner.