Chapter 73. I Love You

Sparks went flying across the collapsed cobblestones, illuminating the broken castle, and bringing light to the shadows in every crook and cranny.

The sound of blades crossing one another had screamed, the loud screeches resembling a ghoul's haunting cries. Lucilline had drawn his spear (he found it discarded in one of the rooms), clashing it against his opponent's blade. The sparks ignited between the two blades, brightening up the room and their faces.

For a moment, Lucilline could see his opponent's lower jaw.

"Why won't you say anything?" Lucilline jabbed, continuously pressing his blade forwards. "Are you too afraid to talk? In any case, I'm listening."

The opponent kept silent.

They wore a black robe and cloak, covering their whole body and figure. However, it could not conceal everything completely. As Lucilline exchanged blows with them, the hem of their robe would flail upwards. Their jaw was clenched harshly, as if hardened into stone.

"Why are you doing this?" Lucilline asked, but his tone had no annoyance within. "I am willing to listen to your reason."

He saw that the traitor pursed their lips, with their cheekbones tensed up.

They traded more blows, the ignition of sparks scattering across the plastered castle, like stars illuminating a broken sky. Lucilline spun on the spot, throwing a harsh kick at the opponent's sword. To his surprise, the traitor kept a steady hand, and the sword was not knocked away.

The traitor slashed at him—Lucilline dodged, the long hilt of his spear dancing across his shoulders, then slicing upwards.

Every attack was dodged or blocked, and every dodge would result in someone else attacking.

"You're not using your full strength, are you?" Lucilline taunted. "You've been holding back this whole time. I know that you don't have the intention to hurt me."

The opponent faltered.

Using that to his advantage, Lucilline threw a punch at them. In an instant, the traitor was flung to the other side of the wall, crashing into the debris of cobblestone. A stifled gasp fell out from the traitor, who struggled to breathe and handle the pain. They tried to climb out of the debris, but their hand was quickly stomped on by a leather boot.

"Don't try." Lucilline deadpanned.

The black-haired nobleman had no fluctuating emotions, his face was still as a frozen-over lake. His gaze appeared rather indifferent.

It made the traitor squirm beneath him.

"Take off your cloak." Lucilline's expression did not change. He continued to stare harshly down at the traitor, who tugged their hand, trying to peel it from the nobleman's boots. However, their hand was nailed to the cobblestone. No matter how hard they tugged, it couldn't free itself.

The black-haired nobleman's golden eyes seemed to sink, "If you don't take it off, I will do it myself."

In an instant, the traitor panicked. Even without reading their facial expression, Lucilline could tell the hints of dread and terror laced within their every action.

Their body twisted, almost like shredding the peels of mandarin oranges. Lucilline tried to force them to a stop, but the traitor kept fighting. Their figure bent and curled into a distorted shape, like a mangled prey caught in the hunter's trap. A strangled cry gurgled from the depths of their throat.

"Stop," Lucilline gritted his teeth, "You're going to dislocate your bones at this rate."

The traitor panted, their chest heaving up and down.