Chapter 77. In the Eyes of the Noble

A five-year-old Lucilline leaned out onto the balcony, allowing his small and puny body to drape like a cloth around the cobblestone fence. The blood flowed to his head, while his arms were stretched out, trying to reach the flowers below the suspended flooring.

His small slender fingers were like beautiful chalk, and the tip of his finger managed to scrape past a blade of vibrant grass—

It has then Lucilline noticed that he was dangling in mid-air, his body completely suspended in the air, and his head was only an inch away from crashing into the ground.

A hand was pulling frantically on the hind of his slender ankle, "LUCY! What do you think you're doing!?!" A loud cry exploded above his dangling body. Lucilline recognized that voice to be his older sister's. He couldn't help but recoil in surprise. Scarletta had never raised her voice—always staying at a cool and collective state. This was the first time he heard her yell.

The upper half of Scarletta's body was over the railing, as she desperately clamoured for strength to pull the both of them onto safe land.

Lucilline could almost touch the flowers if he tried.

"Sister...!" All of a sudden, a strangled sob choked out from the young boy. His luscious black hair was only shoulder-length, with strands swept to block his golden eyes. However, that wasn't enough to prevent Scarletta from seeing the layer of mist forming across the ocean of liquid gold.

Scarletta almost dropped her brother on the spot.

"You're pulling on my leg too hard!" Lucilline cried. The tears did not stop falling. "Just let me go. I'm close to the ground anyway, so it won't hurt if I land."

Scarletta hesitated.

It would indeed hurt the five-year-old boy if she dragged him up by force—he would at least suffer from bruises that spanned across his entire delicate ankle. Scarletta would hate to see that, and would also hate to be questioned by the rest of the family...

Gently, she let go of her little brother.

Lucilline landed softly on a bed of flowers, with his locks of inky black hair dispersed like a river splitting into halves. Petals of pear blossoms tucked within his black nest, and the fragrance of bellflowers soothed the black-haired boy's unresting heart.

The garden was truly flourishing of all plants and matter.

"Lucy! Are you alright!?!" Scarletta called out from above, her mahogany red hair strung in a frenzy.

Slowly, she heard a muffled laugh. The elder sister was stunned, as her silver eyes dilated like a bud unfurling into petals. She watched her little brother's body heave up and down—not from injury, but from laughter. Lucy giggled, and gradually, he crawled up from the bed of flowers.

Petals were scattered across his long sea of inky black hair, like bursts of colour exploding in a stream of shadows.

"Hey hey..." Scarletta felt herself stagger in place. "Where are you going, Lucy..."

Lucilline patted the flowers out of his hair, and a sneaky smile slithered up his curving lips. "I'm going to see the outside world!" In an instant, his small slender figure raced off into the distance. His silhouette splayed across the garden, while Scarletta gasped in shock.

She gripped the railing. Is her little brother just going to leave!?!

"The servants are keeping an eye on him." Behind her, the familiar voice of Anderson bellowed out. "Do not worry. They won't allow him to go too far."

The silver eyes of Scarletta faltered. Should I really not worry?

*****