Chapter 63. In the Bushes, a Tiger Hides

Author's Note:
Dude... 😭 I cried for three consecutive days...! I have never read so much angst before, and it genuinely hearts my soul. But thankfully, it gave me the motivation to continue writing!

Writer's Block is truly the worst sin.

"By this midnight, we should arrive in Miriam Kingdom." Percival guided. His fair and slender hands were gestured before his chest, leading them forwards. The windy path was enshrouded in bushes, with a crowd of trees clinging to the edges.

The cluster of leaves and thick trunks made it impossible to see what was ahead.

Lucilline observed his surroundings. He could only trust Percival's judgement and continue down the path. After all, getting to Miriam Kingdom and restocking their supplies was the first priority.

The rustling in the air became resolute, and the wind gained momentum.

"It is getting dark," Azalea held a torch lit of fire. It lighted up the pathway forwards, almost as if it was a star guiding everyone to the way home. "Perhaps it would be better to rest first, then continue when it's morning?"

One of the knights frowned. "But we're almost there at Miriam Kingdom. Surely we can continue walking until we arrive and rest at an inn?"

Both choices had no flaws. They couldn't choose.

With no other option, everyone's gaze turned to look at the black-haired nobleman. Lucilline gawked at their shameless gestures. What am I supposed to do!?

He debated with himself.

If they were to wait the next day to arrive in Miriam Kingdom, then a whole night would be wasted. If they were to arrive at night, then they could spend the night in Miriam, restock in the morning, then head towards their final destination; Ubel Kingdom.

The second option sounded more pleasing.

"Let's continue." Lucilline announced. "We'll rest once we get to the kingdom."

Thus, following his orders, the group continued wallowing in the dark forest.

If not for the Azalea leading the way, a torch in his hand, then the group would have forever been lost in the sullen woods. There was not a single trace of amiability within the wicked branches, their strange and bending shapes resembling a cackling witch, pouncing and whipping her bony arms above her head.

Lucilline subconsciously shivered.

Is it the cold...? He shook his head. The black-haired nobleman had worn three layers of clothing—a white shirt sticking to his smooth skin, a black waistcoat outlining every curvy contour, and lastly a thick black trench coat, the warm wool fabric reaching to his slender knees and embroidered in a fancy design.

As a nobleman, his clothing perfectly countered any cold weather.

This must mean... a chilling sensation shot down his spine. Lucilline felt a horrid feeling—nausea sinking his stomach, like an anchor dragging it underneath waters.

"There's something wrong." He deadpanned.

In an instant, Azalea stopped, the torch's illuminating glow pausing amidst the wretched path. "What is it?" By the black-haired nobleman's side, Jacques froze in his tracks, his light pink eyes showing a hint of inquiry.

Lucilline couldn't put his finger down on it, but his gut feeling told him there was something off.

It was then he heard the rustling of leaves, evidently sounding behind him.