Three

"Oh, we can't let her sit next to him. They'd rip each other to shreds, and then we'd have blood ruining the table linens." Ianthe spoke. I had to resist the urge to roll my eyes, I'd done that once and she'd gone into a ten-minute lecture about why that wasn't ladylike. I never wanted to endure that again.

    "It's like a game," she said, "all these pieces, vying for power or dominance, willing to shed blood if need be. It must be a strange adjustment for you both."

    My chin was propped up against my fist as I slumped in the chair, "Not really." I sighed. I knew she'd heard about my feats Under the Mountain and yet even in the months, we'd become acquaintances she'd acted as though I was a helpless maiden, small in this world of men.

I didn't use to be.

Was that really what I had become? A small fragile thing that needed to be protected from the atrocities of this world? I didn't know anymore, maybe I did. Maybe I had been exposed to too much and I had broken like glass.

"Humans aren't much better," Feyre added, "my sister Nesta would likely fit right in."

"Will your mortal kin be joining us?" she asked as her eyes flickered between us. The priestess cocked her head allowing the sun to hit the reflective stone she wore on her forehead. I had a small suspicion the movement was intentional.

I had learned much about Ianthe since I met her. She loved attention. Especially that of the High Lord. Any time he entered the room, she somehow gravitated closer to Tamlin. Somehow made the conversation about herself.

"No," Feyre answered.

Ianthe tapped a long slender finger on the table. Her silver rings shone in the sun. It had to be intentional. "But they live so close to the wall, don't they? If it was important to you to have them here, Tamlin and I could ensure their safe journey."

"For all that she'd hold her own," Feyre spoke, "my sister Nesta detests your kind."

"Our kind," The priestess corrected, "We've discussed this." I really did roll my eyes then, making sure to look the other way while doing it so she didn't see. Ianthe went on, "We are old, and cunning, and enjoy using words like blades and claws. Every word from your mouth, every turn of phrase, will be judged—and possibly used against you." Ianthe spoke more softly then, "Be on your guard. Both of you."

I sighed, completely done with this conversation. I stood from my seat, running my hands along my form-fitting lilac dress to get rid of the wrinkles, "I'll leave you two to have your fun." I didn't wait for any replies before I left the room. The whisper of fabric on stone following in my wake.

I wandered the house for a while, coming to a stop at my second favorite place lately. There was a hallway on the second floor made of just windows. I stopped, leaning my hands against the rim as I looked out at the woods that surrounded the property. The sun was high in the sky and night wouldn't come for hours.

    And so I was forced to be a ghost walking the walls until then.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

A/N: short one for you guys bc I love you😘