Sixteen

It happened in a breath. The study was intact. Then it wasn't and I was on the floor crouched down as I tried to stop my heart from bursting from my chest.

    My ears rang with thousands of bells so loud I could barely hear a thing beyond my own horrific thoughts.

    My head was slung between my knees as I clutched my legs to my chest like a scared child. I couldn't bring myself to lift my eyes and look at the wreckage I knew I would find surrounding me.

    I was once again a frail little girl, stuck in a world she didn't want to be in. Afraid of everything around her. A little mouse destined for nothing but misery.

I felt helpless.

    I felt weak.

    And I finally felt irrevocably shattered inside. My mind had split and burned to leave ashes behind. Ashes I would not rise from. Ashes that had been swept away by a merciless wind.

    I had once been untouchable, a force to be reckoned with. And now I was confined to a floor as I hid away from my master. I was hollow. Like a ghost.

    I hadn't realized I'd been crying until my face was wet with tears.

    Coward. Weak. Small. Broken. Afraid. Alone. Lesser. Owned. Overpowered. Scared. Coward. Weak. Small. Broken. Afraid. Alone. Lesser. Owned. Overpowered. Scared.

    Words. Horrible words. Words that were me. Words that made me. Words. Words. Words. A tornado of words. My mind felt overwhelmed as if too much was going on inside.

    And then suddenly, as if a switch had been flipped in my brain. I felt absolutely nothing at all.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

    I lifted my head from between my knees. MY eyes were red and puffy with the tears that had only stopped spilling moments ago.

    The study looked unrecognizable. Splattered with bits and pieces of wood and glass that had spread across the floor like a beautifully ugly painting.

    It was then that I realized there was a wall in front of me that the debris had gathered around. I touched it, coming into contact with blissfully painful electricity. Small strands of purple lightning slithered across the barrier as I touched it. I removed my hand slowly, missing the pain that almost made life bearable for a moment.

    I stood on my feet, twirling in a circle as I realized I was confined in this cage of my own making. Nothing had touched me, like a bubble.

    "Danika..." A voice trailed from in front of me. My eyes met with that of the High Lord. The one who owned me. I remembered that I used to care about that. And yet I just felt...numb, now. I didn't really care about anything at all.

    And I was okay with that.

I cocked my head at the High Lord, before I turned around, still warmly encased my own little bubble as I walked out of the room.

    I was tired.

    I was just so tired.

    And I thought I was finally ready to rest then.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

A/N: Dani, baby😭😭😭

(Also, this chapter is inspired by Juliette from shatter me, so that's why it's kinda chaotic.)