Ninety-One

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"Power belongs to those who take it

"Power belongs to those who take it."

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

     THEY HAD been gone when we found their camp, had up and left without so much as grabbing their belongings

     THEY HAD been gone when we found their camp, had up and left without so much as grabbing their belongings. Though that didn't stop them from leaving a quick massage. One they knew would get to me. Get into my head and poison my mind.

A severed head left on the ground.

I had seen worse. So much worse. But it was why they had done it that truly unnerved me. Made me realize how deep they had sunk their claws into my skin. How much they knew how to make me question all else.

The head had been left in a wooden box, decorated with various carvings and runes, etched with a perfect hand. Gold flecks littering the polished oak wood as though it was an expensive gift.

I knew it wasn't. I knew what we would find inside the moment that box had been opened.

The moment Rhys had flipped the lid, my breath had escaped me. Replaced with void as my lungs screamed for air. I promptly turned around without so much as another glance or word to the High Lord, traipsing through the woods as I pushed away everything around me in an attempt to center my crying nerves.

They knew. They knew it was the same way Kai had died. His head mailed to me as a warning and placed in a carved and gold adorned box by his killers.

They knew.

It was threat. Plain and simple. And yet it felt like a torment. A taunt meant for me and only me to help understand how far they were willing to go and how much they were willing to sacrifice.

To force me to realize that there was absolutely nothing I could do about. But I would not allow them to belittle me again. To force me under their hand and control me like a puppet they used to do their bidding.