Twenty-Seven

"Absolutely not," I exclaimed. "No. Nope. Never. Shall I repeat myself?"

    The sun had set about an hour ago and the star glinted in the sky. I'd thought the city couldn't get any better and yet when I saw the night sky I was dumbfounded once more.

    I'd sat for a long moment just looking at it and waiting for Rhys to get here. It was bliss until the music started. It was lovely, so beautiful I wanted to crawl out of my skin.

    Rhysand had showed up just as I started debating going back inside to escape this night altogether. He was clad in a black suit—as always—though this one was accented with silver thread.

    He crossed his arms, his massive wings rustled as I said again, "No."

    "The House of wind is warded against people winnowing inside—exactly like this house. Even against the High Lords. Don't ask me why—or who did it. But the option is either walk up to ten thousand steps, which I really do not feel like doing, Danika, or fly in." he gave me a slow grin that I hadn't seen all afternoon, "I promise I won't drop you."

It wasn't the flying I had a problem with. I'd long ago got over that fear thanks to Azail, it was more the proximity and the fact I knew Rhysand to be the type of person to drop me to get his jollies. I for one didn't really want to fall into the Sidra.

    I frowned down at the dress I'd selected, a midnight blue. Not as tight as I used to go for, due to the fact I truly had lost a lot of weight and didn't really want to flaunt it. The dress was comfortable—A need if I was going to spend all night in it. It wasn't too fancy, plain enough that it could be considered casual enough, and noticeable enough that I wouldn't wear it walking down the streets.

    I was excited to see Feyre. I didn't know how she was doing after what Tamlin had done to her. Rhysand hadn't given me too many details on how Mor had found here either merely saying she was "in a similar state to yours."

    I looked between Rhysand and my dress again, it was loose. "The wind will rip the gown right off."

    Rhys' grin turned feline.

    It was then I realized my mistake.

    I seethed, "I'll take the stairs." I headed for the door but Rhysand snapped out a wing, blocking my path.

    I stepped back slowly, turning my head to look at him, "If you drop me, I'll kill you in your sleep."

    His wing curved around me, ushering me towards him. So close I could feel the heat of his body. "I promise I won't drop you," he smirked, "on purpose." he just had to add.

    I sighed. He was so irritating.

    He lifted a hand as though he was about to touch me, then lowered it. "If I'm to decide if I want to work with you, then can't we just meet here. You not exactly being persuasive."

    "They're all up there already. And besides, the House of Wind had enough space that I won't feel like chucking them off the mountain." Touche.

    "I hate you,"

    "I know," He grinned as he slid a warm hand around my waist, his wings circling us. Trapped—

His wings swept back and he tightened his grip on me, bracing for take off. His mouth dipped to my ear, "You say the word tonight, and we come back here, no questions asked. And if you can't stomach working with me, with them, then no questions asked on that either. We can find some other way for you and Feyre to live here, and be fulfilled, regardless of what I need. It's your choice, Danika."

    I sighed in defeat, "Don't drop—"

    We shot off into the sky, faster than I ever had with Azail, so much so I screamed a little—directly in Rhys' ear. He deserved it.

    The city yawned wide beneath us and my moment of fear settled into nothing. I missed flying. I hadn't done it in weeks, I didn't know how Rhysand had managed to go without it for fifty years.

    The wind howled as we passed and the bright city lights faded into a blanket below us. Rhys's hands had wrapped under my knees, the other on my back.

    His body was warm against mine, a stark contrast to the chilled wind that swept against us.

    We swerved into an updraft, rising so fast I clutched his black tunic on instinct. I scowled as a soft laugh tickled my ear, "I expected more screaming from you, I must not be trying hard enough."

    "Do not," I seethed. I was used to flying for the most part, but Azail was a wyvern. Much bigger than Rhysand and a much steadier flight.

    I looked up at the stars again, momentarily breathless at how they had grown almost impossibly brighter. We sailed through the sea of stars. Something tight in my chest eased a fraction.

    "When I was a boy," Rhys spoke in my ear, "I'd sneak out of the House of Wind by leaping out my window—and I'd fly and fly all night, just making loops around the city, the river, the sea. Sometimes I still do."

    "Did your parents not scold you for it?"

    "My father never knew—and my mother..." he paused, "She was Illyrian. Some nights, when she caught me right when I'd leaped out the window, she'd scold me...and then jumped out herself to fly with me until dawn."

    "She sounds lovely."

"She was," he said, enough sadness laced his words that I didn't attempt to pry.

    Rhys maneuvered us and we rose higher, right in line with a pale balcony jutting from the side of the mountain, gilded by the light of gold lanterns. Two glass doors were already open, revealing a large and casual dining room.

    Rhysands landing was as smooth as his take off his arm lingered at my back for a moment before I stood on my own.

    I looked out at the city, once again marveling at its beauty. It had been so long since I'd seen the world in this view, that I'd forgotten how big it was.

    The two of us were silent for a moment as I looked beyond us, "Out with it."

    I lifted a brow.

    "You say what's on your mind—one thing. and I'll say one too."

    I gave him a confused look before I turned away. Rhysand said in my place, "I'm thinking that I spent fifty years locked Under the Mountain, and I'd sometimes let myself dream of this place, but I never expected to see it again. I'm thinking that I wish I'd been the one who slaughtered her. I'm thinking that if war comes, it might be a long while yet before I get to have a night like this."

    He slid his expectant eyes to me. And I stupidly caved.

    I turned away again, "I'm thinking that I've spent so much time being locked up by so many different people that I've forgotten how beautiful the world can be. I'm thinking that I might not ever get to see something like this again because yet another war has come to claim me." I breathed out, "I'm thinking that I was weak for being so compliant to those who chose to control me. I'm thinking that I'm just so tired of people wielding me as though I'm a weapon. An object. I'm thinking that I'll never taste freedom like this again." I turned to him, "Happy?"

    His eyes were concerned. Sad. Sympathetic. I knew he understood, and yet I wished he didn't. Wished I could be left to rot in silence.

    "That was five. Looks like I owe you two thoughts." he glanced behind us, "Later."

    Because the two-winged males from earlier stood in the doorway.

    Grinning.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

A/N: LIterally so excited I can't breathe.