Forty-One

"Amren's right," Rhys drawled as he leaned against the threshold of the townhouse's sitting room, "You are like dogs, waiting for me to come home. Maybe I should buy treats."

    Cassian raised a hand, throwing Rhys a vulgar gesture from the couch. Some small part of me wanted to laugh. I could tell they'd all been here for a while, though they all looked at ease, there was a tension in each of them that told me otherwise.

    Azriel lingered by the window, his shadows curling around him like a blanket. And Amren was nowhere to be seen. Feyre must have still been up in the house of wind because she too wasn't there.

    I strode for an empty armchair near the hearth, I needed to sit down. If only to process all that had been said and done. All the things I had admitted... I stretched out my limbs, thankful that I was done for the day.

    "How'd it go?" Mor asked as her back straightened beside Cassian.

    "The Bone Carver," Rhys began, "is a busybody gossip who likes to pry into other people's business far too much."

    "But?" Cassian demanded.

    "But," Rhys said, "he can also be helpful when he chooses. And it seems we need to start doing what we do best."

    I'd let Rhys handle that. I wasn't in the mood to talk, anyway.

    And so Rhys told them. Told them about the Cauldron, the temples, and everything in between. Resulting in a multitude of swearing and questions. He revealed nothing of what I admitted and told. I realized that Rhys was the only one I'd told of what I'd seen and happened. He was the only one who knew.

    It was Azriel who asked the most questions, though he remained unreadable throughout. I'd thought I was good at reading people, but I was sorely mistaken when it came ot the shadowsinger. Cassian—surprisingly—kept quiet as he listened, likely assessing his own forces.

    When Rhys had finished, his spymaster asked, "I'll contact my sources in the Summer Court about where half of the Book of Breathings is hidden. I can fly to the human world myself to figure out where they're keeping their parts of the Book before we ask them for it."

    "No need," Rhysand dismissed, "And I don't trust this information, even with your sources, with anyone outside of this room. Save for Amren."

    "They can be trusted," Azriel said, his voice laced with steel.

    "We're not taking risks where this is concerned." Was all Rhys said. The two held each other's stares, I could have sworn I heard the silent words that Rhys sent, It is no judgment or reflection on you, Az. Not at all.

    Azriel finally nodded, not a twinge of emotion to be found.

"So what do you have planned?" Mor questioned, probably for Azriel's sake.

    Rhys picked an invisible piece of dirt off his fighting leathers—I rolled my eyes. Not going unnoticed by the High Lord himself who only smirked at me. But that warm expression faded when he looked back around the sitting room. His eyes grew icy, "The King of Hybern sacked one of our temples to get a missing piece of the Cauldron. As far as I'm concerned, it's an act of war—an indication that His Majesty has no interest in wooing me."

    "He likely remembers our allegiance to the humans in the War, anyway," Cassian said. "He wouldn't jeopardize revealing his plans while trying to sway you, and I bet some of Amarantha's cronies reported to him about Under the Mountain. About how it all ended, I mean." Cassian's throat bobbed.

    About how Rhys had tried to kill her—so I'd heard.

    Rhys said, "Indeed. But this means Hybern's forces have already successfully infiltrated our lands—without detection. I plan to return the favor."

    Cauldron spare us all. I truly hoped they had a better plan than that. Cassian and Mor grinned in delight. "How?" Mor asked.

    Rhys crossed his arms. "It will require careful planning. But if the Cauldron is in Hybern we must go. Either to take it back...or use the Book to nullify it."

    Goody, one of my favorite activities was sneaking into evil kingdoms to retrieve stolen artifacts to save the world!

    True story, actually.

    "Hybern likely has as many wards around it as we have here," Azriel countered, "We'd need to find a way to get through them undetected first."

    Rhys nodded slightly, "Which is why we start now. While we hunt for the book. So when we get both halves we can move swiftly—before word can spread that we even possess it."

    Cassian nodded absently, "How are you going to retrieve the Book then?"

    I already knew what was coming when Rhys spoke again, "Since the book is tied to the High Lord's power, and can only be accessed by those who are made...Then, in addition to her uses regarding the handling of the Book of Breathings itself, it seems we possible have our own detector."

    Maybe, was what he forgot to say.

It had to work. Because our only other option was Feyre. It was her choice, but if I could do anything to help I wouldn't put that pressure on her. It was selfish, I knew that. But if I was the bad guy for wanting my sister to come out at the end of this war.

    Then, fine. I'd be the bad guy.

    I rolled my eyes as I turned to face the Circle. "I will try. Yes, I was made, but I don't have a connection to any of the High Lords aside from our bargain..." my words trailed off as my head snapped to Rhys who had already been smirking at me.

    "The bond between us creates a bridge to me. A connection." Rhys's smile was feline when he looked at me. "My tethers to the other High Lords are free to you, Danika Darling. And you will be able to track it through that very magic between us."

    I shook my head, "You can't possibly know that for certain." I challenged.

    "No—but there is a way to test it." Rhys was still smiling.

    "Here we go," Cassian grumbled as he sunk back into his seat like a child.

    I glared at Rhys, "And what way is that, oh, great and powerful High Lord?" I

    "With your abilities and connection, Danika, you might be able to find the half of the Book in Summer Court—and break the wards around it. But I'm not going to take the Carver's word for it, or bring you there without testing you first. To make sure that when it counts, when we need to get that book, you—we do not fail. So we're going on another little trip To see if you can find a valuable object of mine that I've been missing for a considerably long time."

    "Shit," Mor said.

    "Where?" I asked.

    It was Azriel who answered. "To the Weaver."

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

A/N: tehhehehehheh, lmk if the chapter makes no sense.