Twenty

Sentries. So many sentries.

    They were everywhere I went. Like shadows at my back, except I was always aware of them. Always feel their presence like a phantom on the wind. Four were stationed outside of my door at all hours, even as I slept.

    I hadn't dared to make noise sneaking out, but I needed to escape. For a moment at least. I'd risk it.

    I dressed in the only pair of pants I had, putting my hair into a high ponytail to keep it out of my face.

    I slowly pulled open the doors of the balcony, careful that it made no creaks or whispers. When I'd made it out and closed the doors behind me, I retreated to the edge. My foot was propped on the railing as I reached for the multitude of vines that spread from the ground. My grip was sturdy as I swung my legs off and caught them and the hard exterior.

    The vines acted as a ladder as I climbed down, eventually jumping off to my feet. Barely made a thump as I landed.

    I wasted no time. I ran silently through the property, careful to stick to the shadows that seemed to swarm as if I was their kin. I didn't realize I'd been holding my breath until I'd made it through the gates and into the woods.

    It was a new moon and the stars seemed to shine impossibly brighter throughout the canopy of branches above me. I wished I could hold them in my hands, I wanted to hold their light and eternity. It was an odd thought, and yet it brought me some semblance of joy.

Thoughts of stars and night raced through my mind as I walked mindlessly through the woods. It was almost like I'd blinked and suddenly a large wall of twisting branches stood before me.

    It was like a reflex to place my hand on it and watch as a pathway opened up. My breath hitched at the darkness inside and closed my eyes as I took the first step. The branches closed behind me and the feeling of being caged in hit me all at once.

    My steps rushed as my eyes squeezed shut almost painfully. My breathing was growing more ragged by the second and I swallowed the lump in my throat. My hand caught on the end of the tunnel and I pushed with all my strength—an action that nearly sent me hurtling to the ground.

    The cold night air hit me and I opened my eyes, the familiar haven greeting me like an old friend. A small smile tilted my lips and my eyes already searched for Azail.

    I'd met the other Wyverns—not all because there were so many, but there were none I connected with like I did the night-black wyvern. Azail was like my mirror in most ways. I'd grown to love the beast after a while.

    But the wyvern had already found me. Azail practically pranced towards me—I swore by the fact he was just a puppy in the skin of a wyvern. I always thought it and yet it just seemed to get more true every time I came here.

    The wyvern came over to me, lifting me up onto his back as he ran around the large expanse in the forest.

    I smiled, and I thought it might have been the first real one in weeks.

    "Licuit, licet." I breathed.

    Azail let me down and I hugged the powerful wyvern as if he were a person. I pulled away, my smile fading a little. Azail was powerful.

    Rhysands words hung in my mind. I knew I had some semblance of power, and yet I'd refused to explore it out of fear. I had no idea what I could do besides what the legends had said.

    I didn't know what I could do. Didn't even know if I could do it.

    I'd only practiced a little magic, and I'd done a multitude of research beforehand. It was a necessity. I learned how to glamour myself.

    My scars.

They hadn't been noticeable under the mountain because my clothes were either black and covering for the pit, and when I was at the parties the black swirls of paint that had littered my body covered most and distracted people from looking at others.

    When I'd come back without access to Zilaine, I took a chance. Thankfully it paid off.

    Maybe I could...just try a little bit of magic.

    And if I ended up exploding something I'd never do it again.

    I looked to Azail, inkling my head towards an empty space a few yards away. Far enough that if anything bad happened it would hopefully be controlled.

    Azail walked with me until I'd finally reached the spot. How was I even meant to start? What did I even want to do?

    A slithering sensation crawled across my skin. A sensation I'd learned was magic. It was odd like my blood was on fire and yet chilled. The only way I could describe it was powerful.

    I held my hand out in front of me. Imagining a star as I looked up at them in the sky.

    Nothing happened.

    I tried again.

    And again.

    And again.

    Nothing.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

    Two hours later I sat on the grass and stared at my palm.

    I let out a frustrated sound, practically throwing a tantrum like a child. Hours. Hours.

    And still nothing. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

    I took a breath. Calming myself once more and summoning that itch under my skin again. This time I thought about other things. My family. My friends. The wyverns. Things I loved and cherished with everything I had. The things I'd hold onto forever until my last breath.

This time I closed my eyes. Letting my power flow free around me. The air was thick. My hands tingled and I vaguely scented a coppery smell.

    My breath was even as I finally opened my eyes, nearly blinded by the look of pure light in my hand as it shimmered like a thousand stars. It was beautiful. Ethereal. A light to be protected.

    It came from the last shards of good in my heart, and that good was beautiful even if the bad outweighed it.

    Tears pricked at the back of my eyes. I laughed. A real laugh as tears spilled and I hastily wiped them away and covered my mouth to muffle my sobs.

    My darkness was terrible and evil. And yet some how this little ball of starlight seemed to shine through that darkness, if even just a little bit.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

A/N: Hi all! I have much to say and I must go to bed.

So, I don't think I've ever talked about this on here but I'm writing another book as well as this one. This book is all original and I'm pretty serious abt it but I'm literally having soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much writer's block. Does anyone have any solutions?