Eighty-Nine

─── · 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

"Aren't we all sinners?"

─── · 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

The world was a tundra. An icy plane full of harsh and cruel conditions. Tainted by its people and warped into an infinite loop. A play for the one thing we all craved.

Power.

Like a drug, it kept you coming back for more. Searching for its cruel embrace to steal what you perceived to be yours. What your mind screamed at you to gain and receive. Destroy and rebuild. Conquer and steal.

My entire life I had clutched power in the hand. Had let it whisper its tainted words in my ears just as those around me did. I had fallen for it. Had heard their tarnished words so many times that eventually I believed them.

Honed into a weapon of destruction and divine violence. Sharpened into a glass sword so easily broken but not so easily escaped.

I became everything I hated.

I had been lost and been sought out. Abandoned and found again. My life had twisted and turned as though I had been thrown around in the wicked waters of a stormy ocean. Tossing me back and forth as their icy waves consumed me entirely.

I had run from what they made me. Separated what I wanted to be from what I truly was.

And yet in the back of my mind, I always knew,

I would always be their sword.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

     The flight back home and winnowing to Velaris was filled with an all-consuming silence that forced me to face everything that had transpired within the chateau.

The queens. Their refusal. Our damnation.

And the fact that it was all my fault.

If I had just contained my temper even an inch, hadn't blatantly threatened them we could have the Book in our grip right now. Could be well on our way to winning this war. But we weren't because of me.

Amren was waiting in the townhouse when we returned, swirling a wine glass just as she usually did as she draped herself across an armchair. The ancient one's clothes were rumpled, face unnervingly pale in a way that told me she had been so consumed in her work that she hadn't had food. I made a note to get her blood as soon as I could.