Ninety-Eight

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"I used to build dreams about you

"I used to build dreams about you."

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

TO LEAVE was to lose

TO LEAVE was to lose. Be it for a short time or indefinitely, the absence of such important things inspired grief. A song of infinite or temporary heartbreak resonating within. Fading with each passing day until the melody was no more.

I was no stranger to grief and loss; no stranger to goodbyes. And yet today felt...different. As though, in the past weeks I had become a steel blade. Made with fire and forged into something bigger. A facet of something larger. Honed into a blade so fierce and mighty, melded with the steel of those around me. From their strength and kindness.

It felt as though I was being held over a fire now. The steel softening at the edges as it began to melt. And though I knew it was temporary, it did not feel that way as I sat in the kitchen nursing the mug of tea in front of me.

Today the song returned. Playing in the back of my mind. Knowing that this was defining. A day to be scorned and not celebrated. Today we all went our separate ways.

I felt...mournful. Sad about what I was losing after only having it for a short time. Sure, I would Still have Rhys and Cassian—stuck with the two dufuses, just my luck—but Amren, Mor, Azriel...Feyre. I didn't want to leave them.

I had thought I would come here and help with the war. Simple as that. And yet I found...much more. Friends...maybe even family. It felt so very wrong to leave that behind and start fresh, even knowing that this goodbye was not forever.

But it was either leave it behind, or let it be destroyed.

"You look deep in thought."

My head turned away from the tea I hadn't realized I'd been staring into, my gaze finding Rhys's in a matter of seconds.

The High Lord leaned against the threshold of the kitchen, arms crossed as he tilted his head. I wouldn't say he looked tired, more disheveled than anything.