Eight

Night Court was the most beautiful place I'd ever seen.

There wasn't a doubt about it in my mind. It was open and airy, unlike the halls of the Spring Court that lacked windows. Even the spacious room we were in was tastefully decorated with flowing drapes that didn't conceal any of the lands that should be shown off.

The air was warm but the breeze was cool, something had to have been heating the place because I didn't believe the snow that surrounded us came from heat.

But the thing I relished the most was the absolute silence. Tamlin's manor was always bustling with servants and people and yet here it was...absolute silence aside from the whispers of the wind. There were no guards that followed my every step, there was no one else here. I think it was the most peace I'd felt in three months.

"This is my private residence," The High Lord said casually. His golden skin was starker in the paler light and I didn't miss the smirk that occupied his face.

I took a breath as my anger finally hit me in full. My calm manner dissipated as a wave washed over me, "How dare you—"

Rhysand snorted, "I certainly missed that look on your face." He stalked closer, his movements the same feline grace evident. "You're welcome, you know."

I crossed my arms, scoffing, "For what?" I laughed quietly. Lethally. "For swooping in and making things worse?" I placed my palm on my forehead as I began to pace in a circle. Tamlin would be mad—no, furious. Mother spare me, I would be confined to the manor for weeks without a breath of fresh air. I was doomed. Doomed.

"For saving you when you asked." Rhysand countered.

I stopped my pacing as I tensed, "I didn't ask."

His eyes dipped to my left arm. He gave no warning as he gripped my arm, snarling softly. He unhooked the fabric ring that concealed most of the tattoo aside from the cat-eye. I flinched again, letting out a sound that was a mix between a whimper and a yelp. "I heard you. I heard you say you wanted out. That you wanted to getaway. I heard you say no."

I hooded my eyes, revealing the slight freak out I was having due to the fact Rhysand read my mind from so far away. "I said nothing." I tried pulling my arm away but he held firm.

He turned my arm over revealing the eye he'd inked. He tapped the pupil tice to make this point. "I heard it loud and clear."

I yanked my hand away harder then, pulling it to my chest. I took a breath gathering my composure. "Please." I breathed, "Please take me back, you'll only make things worse." I was practically begging him.

Rhysand looked startled. And then his eyes gathered that same murderous expression at whatever he saw on my face. I realized he'd never heard me beg before.

"Such gratitude as always." he taunted. He didn't understand. Didn't get why I needed to go back. And why would he? He thought I freely stayed in Spring Court.

"What do you want from me?" I sighed defeatedly.

"Want? I want you to say thank you, first of all. Then I want you to take off that dress. You look..." He scanned me up and down, "You look exactly like the doe eyes damsel they all want you to be."

"You know nothing about me."

Rhysand gave me a knowing smile, "Does anyone?" The words struck me like a blow, even when they shouldn't have. "Does anyone ever notice when you scream yourself awake from nightmares and rush to your balcony so you can breathe again? Or why you can't go into certain rooms because you feel so trapped you can't breathe?"