Five

Two days. Two days until the wedding. And yet anytime it came up in a conversation I could have sworn dread flashed in Feyre's eyes. Guests were already arriving for it. Tamlin had forced the two of us to greet everyone, in private he had said to me "It's what the women should do." I was forced to accept that statement as Tamlin had sentries escort me back to my room straight after.

    He'd been more persistent in me staying in my rooms in the last week. He was so strict about me having guards at all times and me staying in my room for most of the day that I worried he wouldn't even let me go to the wedding. He'd likely make up some excuse as to why I wasn't there; that I'd come down with a contagious illness, that the guards had found me stealing, maybe he'd even say I killed someone. He had even gone as far as to station guards outside my room at all times of day and night.

    There were four guards stationed a few yards away as Feyre, Ianthe, and I at dusk as we watched the assembled revelers pack up the great hall. "You should head to bead," Ianthe said to my sister.

    "I've another hour before I need sleep," Feyre said, men walked by, sending Ianthe and I sultry looks—Feyre was spared only due to the fact of her engagement. Ianthe was in her usual pale blue robe and stone on her forehead. Feyre was in a long-sleeve green dress, and I was in a pink dress that covered all of my skin except my face—as per Tamlin's orders.

    Ianthe spoke to Feyre again, "Are you ready for tomorrow? Is there anything I can do for you?"

    "I'm fine," Feyre replied. Words I knew all too well.

I didn't fail to notice the two males on the other side of the ballroom, they had circled twice already, working up the courage to approach us. They had been casting us looks for minutes now.

    The two males had seemed to resolve their nervousness and I eyes them as they approached, "Priestess," one said to Ianthe. Feyre and I had both grown accustomed to people coming up to her and kissing her rings, begging for prayers, hoping to be saved. I would have asked her as well if I didn't already know I was beyond saving.

    "Bron," she said to the one on the left, brown-haired and tall. He looked the younger of the two—not in looks, but more in the air around him. "And Hart," she said to the other, black-haired and more built than the other. Ianthe gave the two a small smile as she batted her eyelashes, I had learned that the look meant she was looking for some nighttime companionship, which was pretty much always. "I haven't seen you two troublemakers for a while."

    The three of them continued with a small conversation, filled with flirtatious comments and looks. But then the two males began to sneak glances at Feyre and me. They were more curious than anything.

    "Oh," Ianthe said as she looked at us, "Allow me to introduce Lady Feyre and...Danika." I didn't miss the look she sent my way. And I sighed an annoyed breath. She sucked up to Feyre because she would be Tamlin's consort, Ianthe wanted to be on good terms. I didn't get the same treatment. "Saviors of Prythian."

    "We know," Hart said quietly bowing with his friend at the waist. "We were Under the Mountain with you two." their eyes flickered between us.

    Feyre inclined her head a bit and I spared them the kindest close-lipped smile I could muster. "Yes, I remember." I said, "you were at our first trial and I recall seeing you a few other times." I referred silently to the pits. Feyre still didn't know about the second bargain I made with Amarantha, the one that made me provide entertainment. She still thought I had been on the other side of the mountain in a room like hers.

    The two of them nodded a little surprised I remembered. I may have a selective memory with information but I never forget a face.

    Bron inclined his head to Feyre, "Congratulations on tomorrow," he smiled a little, "a fitting end, eh?"

    "The Cauldron," Ianthe interrupted, once again sliding the attention to her. "Has blessed all of us with such a union." the males murmured their agreement.

"I have to say," Bron went on his eyes on me now, "that trial—with the Middengard Wyrm? Brilliant. One of the most brilliant things I ever saw." I spared him another tight smile, even as I flinched inside from the memory of falling down that dark hole and not knowing if I was going to stop. Of sitting in my dark cell with an infection for days.

    Feyre dipped her head again—a motion she'd taken to. "Thank you," I said quietly.

    "Oh, it sounded terrible," Ianthe said, stepping closer to the two of us. She put a hand on my arm and I felt myself flinch. I hated when people touched me these days, it made me feel like they were going to hurt me. It was irrational. And yet somehow even the slightest touch made me want to run. "Such bravery is awe-inspiring."

    "We missed the hunt the other day," Hart spoke, "so we haven't had a chance to see your talents up close but I think the High Lord will be stationing us near the estate next month—it would be an honor to ride with you."

    Feyre had been dragged on shunt a few days ago with her fiance, she'd come back hyperventilating and ended up closing herself up in her room. Tamlin hadn't allowed me to go, he made me stay in my room the entirety of that day while he was away.

    "The honor would be mine," Fere replied even as her eyes darkened with memories.

    "Does my father have you two on duty tomorrow, or will you be attending the ceremony?" Ianthe asked.

    Bron answered her—but heart eyes caught on my hand. On the swirling tattoo that lingered there. "Have you heard from the High Lord at all?" I tensed, and even Ianthe stopped short. No one had asked me about Rhysand in three months. My sister had tried only once and I'd come up with an excuse to leave.

    "No," I answered, holding the sentries gaze.

    "He's probably running scared now that Tamlins got his powers back."

    "Then you don't know Rhysand very well at all," I answered him.

    Hart blinked. That singular sentence was probably the most assertive thing I'd said to anyone in three months. I hadn't even talked back to Tamlin and his demands. I didn't know why I'd been so compliant. The thought of fighting back just made me tired.

    "Well, we'll take care of him if need be." Hart shifted on his feet, nervous at my words. He shouldn't be. I had no power in this court.

Ianthe said to him and I, "The High Priestesses are taking care of it. We will not allow one of our saviors to be treated so ill." I would have laughed, I didn't believe the priestesses were working on it, I was no one. And as for being treated ill, it would be harder to treat me any worse than I was.

    I looked between the four of them, "If you'll excuse me."

    "I'll join you," Feyre said.

    The two of us walked away in silence.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

A/N: Spring court sucks ass.