Hundred-one

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"I will always be your sword

"I will always be your sword."

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

         BEING IN Rhys's arms again, against his body, was a test of stubbornness

BEING IN Rhys's arms again, against his body, was a test of stubbornness. For both of us. To see who'd speak first. Maybe things had been semi-normal earlier in the day, but having more than an hour or two to think about the events of Starfall had instilled a sort of...tension between the two of us. I wasn't sure what kind yet.

    Remembering Starfall was both a blessing and a curse.

    The way we had danced. All of us together. And I had never seen Rhys so happy, laughing with Azriel, drinking with Mor, bickering with Cassian. I'd danced with each of them, and when the night had shifted toward the dawn and the music became soft and honeyed, I had let Rhys take me in his arms and dance with me, slowly, until the other guests had left, until Mor was asleep on a settee in the dining room, until the gold disk of the sun gilded Velaris.

    He'd flown me back to the town house through the pink and purple and gray of the dawn, both of us silent, and had kissed my brow once before walking down the hall to his own room.

    And then I had gotten a restless and fitful hour of sleep, leaving me entirely delirious and leading me to make a fool's bargain with Rhys when my mind was not clear as day. Foolish of me.

    And now it was...silent. Both of us having had time to mull over the night. Of this change. Of whatever had gotten into my head when I had decided to let down my carefully placed guards.

    Rhys and I had been flying over the most beautiful mountains I'd ever seen—snowy and flecked with pines—heading toward the rolling steppes beyond them. My eyes eagerly drinking in every line of the scenery. My ears memorizing every chirp and rustle from the forest. Committing every picture to memory.

    My voice was distant as I finally broke the silence, my focus still elsewhere as I spotted a bird flying over head. "You're training female Illyrian warriors?" I questioned.