Fourteen

I stood off to the side of the dais. Tamlin stood on the center of the large platform while Lucien was off to the left, and Feyre sat kneeling before him. We all were forced to sit and listen as people entered the room to pay an obscene amount of money called the Tithe.

    It was terrible.

    Not just sitting and listening to all of it, but having to watch as people parted with precious belongings and resources that could sell for food or housing, children, and basic needs. All so that the High Lord could live more comfortably than them. It was barbaric.

    People, young and old came in with goods and left with nothing. Some shed tears, others walked out mournfully. But none looked happy.

    It nearly made me sick to my stomach that no one even batted an eye.

    Some of them who had come in had looked at my sister and me. We endured tears of gratitude, and thanks for prayers that had not been given. Praise for dying for them. Praise for suffering for them. I would die so that people—better people, could live. And I'd do it gleefully. And yet somehow their thanks made me...sad.

    Hearing them thank me for my suffering. Watching them spare me hopeful smiles because I was some sort of miracle. Hearing how they were happy now. How they had gotten past what they'd gone through. It made me mournful for what I'd lost. Jealous of what they had.

    I was awful.

    A faerie approached, she was slender, gray-skinned, she glided through the throne room like it was water. She wore no clothes, her dark hair trailed behind her as though floated on air. The afternoon light slithered across her iridescent skin. She was a water-wraith.

    "On behalf of the water-wraiths, I greet thee, High Lord," she spoke in a near hiss that told me this was not her first language.

    "Welcome," Tamlin said. We had all been here for nearly five hours and yet he looked like we'd been here for moments.

    "Please, High Lord," she began to say as she bowed so low her hair his the marble, "There are no fish left in the lake."

    Tamlin's face gave away nothing. "Regardless, you are expected to pay." I let out a breath as a wave of nausea hit me. His crown of gold and emeralds glittered in the sun. He'd forced us all to wear so much jewelry today that I felt like I was being weighed down. Yet another tactic to show these people how little they were in the face of their superiors.

    I felt disgusted with myself.

    The faerie exposed her slender palms but Tamlin interrupted her before she could speak, "There are no exceptions. You have three days to present what is owed—or offer double next Tithe."

    I squeezed my eyes shut. This wasn't right.

    The water-wraiths had nothing to eat—how could he expect her to give him food.

    "Please," she whispered as she began trembling, "There is nothing left in the lake."

His face remained the same. Not a pang of sympathy in sight. "You have three days—"

    "But we have no gold!" she pleaded as a tear spilled from her eye.

    "Do not interrupt me," he warned, and I thought I might just spill my guts on the floor. How could he do this to someone?

    She ducked her head lower, "Apologies, my Lord."

    He raised his chin as though we were triumphant, "You have three days to pay, or pay double next month." he said again, "If you fail to do so, you know the consequences." Tamlin waved a dismissive hand.

    I had been merciless. I had been terrible. But I'd only done it to bad people. And never—never had I turned away someone who was hungry. Someone who was starving and poor. Because I had been right there with them. I knew how it felt, and to let someone suffer than same fate made me sick to my stomach.

    The faerie passed away, walking by Ianthe who stood on the other side of the throne room letting people in as we went along. She stepped past allowing the wraith to pass.

    I didn't let myself think. Didn't let myself think of the consequences. Barely heard the people's calls as I walked out of the ballroom after her.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

    The wraith was in the yard when I caught up to her. "Wait," I called and she stopped. I knew guards had followed me. But at least they'd had enough respect to keep a few paces away.

    The female turned to me with a preternatural stillness, her slitted eyes finding me immediately.

    She cocked her head, "yes?" her sharp teeth gleaming.

    "How much was your Tithe?" I questioned, "What did you have to pay?"

    She looked me up and down, "Far more than you have in your pocket."

    I took a breath. Not really caring what would happen, "Then take this," I started ripping off the jewelry I was forced to wear. Someone else needed it more than I did. And I refused to not help someone who needed it more. I handed her everything I had aside from clothes off my body; necklace, earrings, bracelets, rings. Everything.

She looked at them as though they were small miracles. She looked back up to meet my eyes, "And what payment do you require."

    "Nothing. Please just keep it. Buy whatever you must." I told her, "Please."

    She frowned, "You desire nothing in return?"

    "Nothing."

    She once again looked at the glittering jewels she held in her hands. Sparing me another assessing look, "Thank you," she bowed deeply, "I will not forget this kindness." Her eyes filled with gratitude, "Nor will any of my sisters."

    She walked back towards the manor. And for a moment, I felt good.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

A/N: setting up plot points.