Thirteen

The outer edges of the manor were quiet. Like the place was encased in a barrier the protected sound. I walked up the white stairs leading to the front door, the flat shoes I wore barely making a sound.

    I looked down at myself, realizing I still wore Night Court attire. I suddenly felt self-conscious.

    I entered the quiet halls, a few servants passed my way. Their eyes were wary like they weren't sure I was meant to be here. I needed to find Tamlin. He'd want to know I was back.

I took a left that led me into a hallway full of doors. Each compact enough that the rooms had to be small inside. Muffled voices rang out from the door at the end and I made my way there.

The voices grew familiar and I recognized Tamlin speaking. His words sounded like gibberish from behind the wall, but even then I could hear he was using his serious voice. I came to a stop in front of the door. I took a breath as I reached my hand up to the polished wood and knocked twice.

The voices stopped almost immediately. I heard whispers before a voice yelled for me to enter.

I turned the knob, opening the door slowly as my panic slowly rose. Three pairs of eyes were the first thing I noticed; icy blue, green, and auburn. Ianthe, Tamlin, and Lucien. Great.

Ianthe stood from her seat first coming over and hugging me tightly—I forced smile on my face as I hugged her back. "I am so glad you're back. We have so much to do," she said immediately as she pulled away. Ianthe's face was calm and collected. I looked over at the males who still stared at me. Taking me in.

"I'll let you all talk in private," Ianthe said as she noticed the tense air in the room. She dipped her head—a movement that of course reflected the gem on her forehead perfectly.

Lucien stood from his seat as well, "I'm out too," he started to walk towards the door. I tried to tell him with a look not to leave but he didn't notice. The fox tapped me on the shoulder as he passed. "Glad your back, Dani." he closed the door behind him.

Tamlin crossed his arms, saying nothing. He scrutinized me with his gaze, taking in the Night Court fashioned clothes and the fact I didn't exactly look as though I'd been tortured for a week.

"You're back." He stated the obvious. I nodded my head anyway, "and yet you still look as though you're not."

"What does that mean?"

He looked me up and down, "You walk into my Court looking like an enemy, Danika. I'm forced to wonder whether you are."

I was taken aback. He was there when Rhysand took me away. All I had to wear there from Spring Court was that pathetic dress, how was I meant to come back?

"I am not your enemy, Tamlin."

I shook his head looking down as though he was truly contemplating this. He rubbed his hand over his jaw, "You're unpredictable. That makes you a liability." he looked up then. His is made of stone, "You are on probation. If there is any cause that makes you seem like a spy or you do anything that might hurt your sister...you know what will happen."

I took a breath. "Fine."

"Leave me." He said as he took me in again, "And put something more suitable on. You shouldn't be seen wearing...that." he gestured to my outfit before he waved me off, going back to looking at the parchments on his desk.

I listened.

    I walked back to my room, went into the closet, and found a dress. I'd forgotten how stuffy it all was. How I always felt like I could never breathe. How there was no fresh air. I hated it.

    Rhysands words rung through my mind as I put on one of the many dresses in my closet; you are no one's subject.

    Maybe he was wrong.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

A/N: short one <<<333