Twelve

I missed the wyverns.

    I didn't realize how restless I was at night, how much I struggled to sleep without being tired by something. Flying through the midnight skies and running around the haven was the thing that brightened my day in Spring Court. Night Court may have been a force to be reckoned with, but I didn't really know what to do at Night here.

    I had already bathed in a small pool that they called a tub until my hands had become pruny in the water—I didn't think it was possible to fall in love with a bathtub and yet here we are.

    I'd wandered the palace for a while, trying to sneak around. I wasn't sure if I was allowed to explore. And it was fun. I hadn't realized how much I missed the adventure. The adrenaline. It was almost refreshing. Like going under cold water.

    I'd found myself on a large balcony looking over the landscape. The Night was cold  and my thin pajamas did nothing to serve as a barrier. I liked the chill though, how it made my skin prick with awareness and forced my senses into overdrive.

    Everything was different as High Fae, my body especially. It had taken me weeks to adjust to my legs, I tripped and fell over everything and anything. At first, I'd gotten constant migraines from the heightened hearing, listening to the servants as their feet clanked against the hard floors nearly made me insane. Though I'd gotten used to it after a while.

    But the one thing I loved about my new senses was the weather. The way I could smell the dew of rain before it even started; how I could hear the small droplets hit the ground outside. When lightning struck the ground and radiated electricity, I could almost feel it in the air. How the thunder struck so loudly I felt it with my entire being.

    It was by far the best part.

    Even then I could just so faintly smell that a storm was brewing about the mountains.

    Even as much as Rhysand annoyed me, I loved the Night Court. The sights were lovely, the weather wasn't always sunny, it wasn't bound to only one season for eternity. And even as I looked up at the Night sky I was struck stupid.

    The stars shined so brightly. They were almost ethereal, so much so I was forced to wonder if I'd made it to heaven after all.

    But those thoughts were futile. A measly dream in a swamp of reality. I didn't know how long Rhysand and I's bargain would even continue. I wasn't sure whether Tamlin would let it go on. If it was only up to him, I'd likely be rotting in Night Court's dungeon, but because of my sister—who was probably upset about the bargain, I wasn't sure whether he would try to stop it or not.

    Even if he didn't, I was only here for a week each month, all the rest of my days would be spent in Spring Court's impending solitude where I'd likely rot away in my own sorrow.

    The thought alone caused my awed mood to vanish entirely. I suddenly felt sick to my stomach.

I didn't dare look around anymore as I headed into the palace and found my way back to my room.

    And I couldn't help but think on the way: what was the point?

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

    I hadn't seen The High Lord of the Night Court since my first day—not his cousin either. Even though I'd thought about calling for Mor, I'd decided it was best if I didn't have ties here besides the already large one I had to Rhysand.

    It would only hurt me, in the long run, to get attached. And even if she seemed like someone I'd want to be friends with, my relationship with the people of Spring was already strained enough. I feared if I were to get cuddly with the people they hated, it wouldn't end well for me.