Hundred-Three

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"The chains are broken, but are you truly free?"

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

        I WAS so damn cold

        I WAS so damn cold. So very cold I think my bones may have turned into tiny little icicles. Even in the winters in the mortal realm, I'd managed to find some kernel of heat, but with not being used to expending the amount of magic I had this afternoon, even the roaring hearth fire wouldn't thaw the chill that wrapped around my body. Did spring ever come to this blasted place?

"They pick these locations," Cassian said across from me as we all dined together. "Just to ensure the strongest among us survive."

"Bullshit strategy." I muttered under my breath as my body shivered, the spoon I held my stew with shaking as I brought it to my mouth.

"Horrible people." Mor grumbled her agreement into her earthenware bowl. "I don't blame Az for never wanting to come here."

"I take it training the girls went well," Rhys drawled from beside me, his thigh so close it's warmth brushed my own.

Cassian drained his mug of ale. "I got one of them to confess they hadn't received a lesson in ten days. They'd all been to busy with 'chores,' apparently."

"No born fighters in this lot?"

"Three, actually," Mor said. "Three out of ten isn't bad at all. The others, I'd be happy if they just learned to defend themselves. But those three...they've got the instinct—the claws. It's their stupid families that want them clipped and breeding."

Sipping from my wine, I downed the last dregs of it before I stood from the table, grabbing my bowl and taking it to the sink tucked into the wall. The house was simple, but still bigger and in better condition than our old cottage. The front room served as a kitchen, living area, and dining room, with three doors in the back: one for the cramped bathing room, one for the storage room, and one being a back door, because no true Illyrian, according to Rhys, ever made a home with only one exit.