Sixty

It was a long journey. I'd decided to take my time this time instead of rushing toward the group. I didn't know how many more times I'd be able to do this, and I intended to enjoy every second of it. I watched as the seasons changed across the courts and the steady, rolling hills turned to stark mountain peaks in the distance.

My thoughts had strayed so far from the present that, at one point, I'd completely forgotten about the war looking over my shoulders.

    The Lady of White Light. The name had haunted me for months, good or bad. The responsibility. The meaning. It all weighed on me in one way or another. I was destined to rule. And I wasn't sure if that was something I wanted.

The myth of Stars and Darkness. The tale of a goddess who could summon the light and fire of stars. Create the greatest storms. Bend the world to her will. And her consort, a fateful god who wielded the darkness between the stars. The ruler of the world's deepest and misunderstood creatures.

Fated to reign together under the cover of night.

My fate was written in the stars. I wasn't sure if it was a gift...or just another prison.

The mortal legends had been warped and forced to fit a certain view. The myth had originated millions of years ago and the story had only changed an inch. Lucien had said that the Lady—me wasn't destined for Prythian in its entirety, just the place where the legend originated. A fact I was extremely thankful for. Only problem was, I had no idea where the legend was born.

And then there was the whole problem about my prophesied consort. The Lord of Dark Fire. What kinda name even was that? Sounded so weird and theatrical. Though, I suppose I wasn't in any place to talk.

I laid on Azail's back, watching as the clouds passed by, circling me like an old friend as tendrils whispered around me. I sighed as I sat up, immediately spotting the snow-capped peak of Ramiel in the distance. I had no idea when we'd crossed Night Court's border, but I was happy to see the jagged mountains again.

"Velaris est trans Ramiel." I pointed to the mountain, though Azail couldn't actually see my hand. I was near positive the wyvern understood me as he turned a little to the left, positioning us to head straight toward the wards that hid the city of starlight.

Azail flew faster, as if he knew that something was waiting there. Calling us there. We flew fast and soft smile bloomed on my features as I raised my hands in the air, letting out a loud whoop as pure bliss rolled through my veins.

We finally approached the outer forest, and I whispered as I spotted a small clearing in the large pine forest where we could land. Azail listened, slowing his pace as we circled the clearing a few times to get rid of some momentum. We finally landed with a soft pat, the grass hissing beneath us.

I laughed, climbing down from the wyvern's back with a smile. I held out a hand, running it along Azail's head as the dragon practically leaped with excitement.

I missed it. The flying, the euphoria. It had been too long. I hadn't known how much I needed it.

Maybe it was worth it. Being who I was, if only because I could watch these magnificent creatures in their beauty.

My smile became soft as I looked at the wyvern. I didn't know how many times I'd be able to do this again, not with the war swiftly approaching. But I relished in the temporary moment as peace consumed me.

But the feeling didn't last long as Azail's head popped up, a soft snarl dragged from within him. A puff of smoke came from his nose as the creature stares at something.

I turned quickly, my hand going to the dagger on my hip as I searched for a threat.

My face paled as I saw what the wyvern had been looking at. Differnt shades of panic rushed through me all at once, and I thought my fear might consume me.

    There stood Azriel, his eyes slightly wider than normal as he stared at the beast behind me.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

The spymaster and I stared at each other as we each leaned on opposite trees. It had been silent like this for about ten minutes and it was beginning to weigh on me, but it felt wrong for me to speak first.

"Who are you." Azriel spoke finally, his expression a mix of suspicion and curiosity.

I knew the question was coming, and yet ice still rolled through my veins. "I'm a lot of people. Which one are you asking about?" I deflected.

Azriel's gaze turned scrutinizing. "Who. Are. You."

My heart thundered in my chest as nerves bit at my mind. There was no way to lie anymore. No way to hide who I was. The secret was exposed, and it was all I could do to explain the demons who haunted me.

I gulped. Staring Azriel straight in the eye as I said, "I am a prophesized ruler of Prythian. Destined to save and kill." A shuttering breath left my mouth as a dose of reality hit me. I looked down as I fought back tears. I forced them down, clenching my jaw as I looked up again. "You know who I am, Azriel."

His eyes lit with understanding as his eyebrows raised a fraction. His lips gaped just a fraction as he spoke again. "I know who you are."

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

A/N: Ik this is another short one, but I had to add the cliffhanger for dramatic effect ofc