Hundred-Fifteen

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"I love her

"I love her. And that's the beginning and end of everything."

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

   RHYS'S EYES darted between where I stood and the soup as he consumed every spoonful

    When he was done, he set down the spoon.

    "Aren't you going to say anything?" he asked at last.

    I angled my head, studying him. "The way I see it," I took a single, slow step toward him, "you have two options. The first, I go through my dreadfully tragic story and eventually get to the decision I made before you even got here." another step toward him. "The second, I skip to the conclusion, and tell you that I love you and have for a long while now." I raised my brows. "I suggest you choose the latter, but the decision's yours nonetheless."

Three words. Eight letters. A sentence.

    I had never said it before. Not to anyone other than my sisters. Not to Astrid or Fynn or Kai. Not to my father or mother.

To me, I love you was a death sentence from my mouth. And yet the words came easy then.

Right. They felt right.

    I stood in front of Rhys then, reaching up a hand to cup his cheek while I brushed away his tears with my thumb. Wiped them away and hoped I never saw them again.

"Say it again." he breathed.

    I smiled, aware of every breath, every movement, I sat in his lap. His hands gently braced my hips as I studied his face. "I love you, Rhysand. I will until I am a mere whisper of darkness between the stars."

I'd never felt so certain about anything in my life.

He looked as though he were in pain. Like this—I would disappear at any moment. He exhaled, his eyes glistening again. "I don't deserve you." he shook his head, though unable to look away from my gaze. "I have spent my entire life longing for this and I do not regret it a moment of it. My world has been upturned and I couldn't be more happy..." he brought up his hand, so very gently placing it onto my cheek as though I was going to break under his touch. As though I was forged from glass, about to shatter at any given moment. "And yet, I am afraid...that my love will terrify you."