Hundred-Twenty-Three

─── · 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

"Take the risk or lose the chance

"Take the risk or lose the chance."

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

        BLADES HAD been strapped all over me

      BLADES HAD been strapped all over me. Hidden in my boots, inside my pockets, at my sides, all accessible places. Twin Illyrian blades strapped across my back in a perfect 'x'. A weight so familiar and normal I barely registered it at all.

Fear and worry and suspense hung low in the air, twisting through each of our veins as we all stared. Our eyes meeting as our breaths held in our chests. On pause. Frozen.

We would risk everything today. Would travel within the walls of our enemies and attempt to save the remaining shambles of the world. Attempt to mend the damage that had been reaped by the King.

They had planned everything—Cassian and Azriel— had thought through every scenario, every possible hiccup or problem—with a few begrudging critiques from me, obviously. There was nothing we were not prepared for. Nothing that was not calculated from every angle and possibility.

Just a few hours ago I'd known such overwhelming happiness, after such horror and sorrow. Just a few hours ago, I had sworn myself to an infinite future with Rhys. Just a few hours ago, I'd been in his arms while he'd made love to me. A perfect moment broken by only this danger and demand to protect these people.

And now Rhysand, my mate and High Lord and partner, stood beside me in the foyer, his hand snaked around my waist as he drew me impossibly close. A reminder. That we are both still here and will be by the end.

Across from us, Mor and Azriel and Cassian were armed and ready in their scale-like armor, all of us too quiet. Too fearful.

There were times when I believed not knowing was better than being in the known. That maybe, for a few small times, being cast in darkness was better than seeing the horrors of the light.