Ten

Rhysand was a few paces ahead of me as he walked through the halls, leading the way to wherever we were going. His black suit contrasted the white walls starkly.

    I realized how different we were; complete opposites. His hair was darker than the deepest nights while mine was whiter than snow. His complexion was a golden brown while mine was pale. My eyes were green and his were violet. It was...unsettling. Like he was night and I was day.

    Rhysand took a left, going down a hallway full of large dark wood doors. His steps were sure. Confident. His hands were stuffed into his pocket—one of his signatures moves in my opinion.

    He turned again, this time coming to one of the many doors. This one was larger than the others and had multiple carvings in different languages. Most of them I knew. There were others I didn't. I did recognize one quote carved onto the door in a lovely artistic rendering, "Knowledge is power. Those who use it hold the hand of fate."

    I nearly leaped from my skin with excitement as I realized where we were going. Rhysand pushed the double doors open and walked in. I followed, tipping my head back to take in what had to be one of my favorite places on Earth.

    Rows upon rows of books and shelves. Two floors filled to the brim with stories and worlds. There was a multitude of desks on the ground floor and Rhysand was walking towards one.

I glared at his back for no reason other than the fact I found him frustrating. I guess I did have a reason then.

I walked towards the table he had set himself at, propping his feet up at the edge of the table with his hands behind his head and a shit-eating smirk on his face as he likely observed my wonder.

"Welcome," he mused as I sat down across from him once more.

"What is this place?"

"A library." he deadpanned and I gave him an incredulous look. "This is my private library in this palace, passed down by my predecessors," he said. Oh, how I wished to see the public library. This place was astonishing but I could have easily found it on my own. The entrance wasn't subtle.

"Why have you brought me here?"

"I want you to research."

"Research what?" I asked, mildly curious as I once again surveyed the library rather to get started.

    "Everything. Past and Present. I want you aware and I want you to work with me...as an ally, Danika."

    "Why would you need me as an ally?" I questioned. So many questions. I was getting really tired of questions.

    "That comes later." I rolled my eyes, must he be so vague all the time? Oh, what fun is it to reveal my games? Oh, can't show you all my moves, or else you'll actually know what's going on around you. Blah, blah, blah.

He was so cryptic all the damn time, i was tired of being kept in the dark.

    I raised an astonishing brow, "I'm not doing anything for you until you tell me why you want me to. You can't just say you need me as an ally and then refuse to tell me what I'm allying against." I leaned back in my chair, crossing my arms over my chest as I looked at the High Lord expectantly.

    Rhysand sighed, and shook his head, "Soon." he assured as he tipped his head back into the ceiling and sighed breathily. His head turned backs arching my eyes.

    "Patience is not one of my strong suits, Rhysand. You'd do well to remember that if you want me as your ally." I mocked as I leaned forward in protest. Such a prick.