Sixty-Three

I stood in front of the large wardrobe of my bedroom at the townhouse. I stared at the very impressive stock of clothes, having no idea what to do.

I knew how to dress myself. I had my entire life. In fact, I could make men fall to their knees with just one garment. And yet, I stared at the dresses, leathers, and shirts as though I'd never seen them before. What does one even wear when going out with the entire inner circle of the Night Court? I had no clue.

I finally reached into the closet, pulling out a few different items that could work. A very form-fitting red dress that had been catching my eye for weeks, a navy blue long sleeve with a V-neck that nearly went to my navel, and a black dress that looked like the top was some type of corset.

I stared at the clothes again. Apparently, I was very indecisive under pressure.

Less than fifteen minutes ago, Rhys had flounced into my room with his usual annoying presence and randomly told me that he and the inner circle—me included, were going out to dinner. In forty minutes. I'd stared at him, asking why he hadn't told me earlier. To which he'd shrugged and replied that it had slipped his mind.

I believed that. After the news I'd just told all of them, I was surprised they even wanted me to come to dinner.

I'd swore and ushered him out of my room as he laughed at my panicked expression.

I was still mad at the High Lord. He may have been semi-nice earlier after I'd left the group, but I refused to forget the fact he'd used me as bait for the Attor. Used me. Set me up like his little toy and waited for me to be attacked.

I wouldn't forgive him so easily.

The soft creak of my door opening broke me from the death stare I was giving the three dresses laid out on my bed. I turned around slowly. No one was there.

"You look angry." An ancient voice said. I looked down. Oh. Amren stood in front of me.

Wow, she was short.

I wasn't the tallest person in the bunch, but her 4"11 compared to my 5"6 was apparently enough that I didn't even notice she was standing in front of me.

I sighed, "I'm not angry." I said jokingly, gesturing to the dresses. "Just indecisive."

Amren raised a brow. Looking at the dresses. "I see." She was stiff, though I was nearly positive that was her resting state. 

"Oh." I remembered walking to the vanity in the corner of the room. I pulled open one of the old drawers as it made a screeching sound. I reached in, my lips tilting upward as my hand grasped the chain of a necklace. I pulled it out.

Turning to Amren, I held up the jewelry she'd given me when entering the prison. I knew it was useless. That didn't mean I wouldn't give it back as I'd promised.

I smiled a little "Thank you." I said.

Her brows raised as I dropped it into her waiting palm. "You gave it back."

"Of course I did." I replied. "I didn't realize it was a test."

She held it in the air. Quietly looked at it before she shoved it back into my hand. "Keep it. There's no magic to it."

"Obviously."

She cocked her head, raising a sharp brow. "Clever."

I shrugged irreverently, "I appreciated the gesture."

Her smile was lethal. Though I was pretty sure it was meant to look playful. "I found it at the bottom of my jewelry box. You needed it more than I."

I smirked a little, "And why did Rhys keep looking at it?" I snorted, sitting at the edge of my bed.