Ninety-Three

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"The girl who cheated death

"The girl who cheated death."

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

          THE WIND roared around Rhys and I as winnowed through the dark folds of the world

THE WIND roared around Rhys and I as winnowed through the dark folds of the world. The calming wind whipping my hair every which way as I tilted my head back.

    I had used to hate winnowing—it had made me sick and it twisted my stomach into knots. But once that subsided...I found it rather...resetting. As though the dark wisps cleared my mind and forged a new path for clearer thoughts.

    When I finally opened my eyes, I expected to see the welcoming interior of the townhouse or the restless streets beyond the windows. And yet we were not in Velaris.

    Rather, we were standing by a moonlit mountain, the stars casting a gray hue over the lake beyond us. The pool of water was ringed with pine trees towering high above the world. A mix of viridian and silver.

    We'd left the court as we'd come in, swagger and menace. Where Cassian, Azriel, and Mor had one with the orb, I hadn't a clue. Here it was just Rhys and I, the other three not in sight.

Confusion laced my features as I looked around, wondering why we'd come here.

    Alone at the edge of the lake, Rhys said hoarsely, "I'm sorry."

    I blinked, coming further to his side as small rippled waves crested against the small shore. "Would do you possibly have to be sorry for?"

    His hands were shaking and I felt something inside me wake up.

Rhys just stared beyond us, to the crystal waters of the lake. Perhaps he'd brought us here before heading home in order to have some privacy before his friends could interrupt. "I shouldn't have let you go. Let you see that part of us. Of me." I'd never seen him so raw, so...stumbling.

    I spared him a long look, watching him inspect everything around us other than me. "I knew what to expect tonight, Rhys. I knew what I signed up for. You have nothing to apologize for."