Ninety-Nine

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"Words can lie

"Words can lie. See beyond them."

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

       A FEMININE voice filtered through the house calling my name

       A FEMININE voice filtered through the house calling my name. It was hesitant; unsure and yet I recognized it as though it were my own.

I froze in my room. The voice echoing around me as though I were in an endless cavern.

Feyre.

She was here. I hated the feeling that crawled up my spine then. Suspicion and hope. Such an odd combination that I felt entirely conflicted. Why was she here? Did she know Rhys was gone? Had she come to see me?

Had she come to apologize?

Questions whirled through my mind in a muddle of thoughts, twisting and turning just as my feet turned toward the threshold of my room. My traitorous feet began walking before my mind could catch up. Slow and speedy steps as I listened to my younger sister call my name in the entryway.

"Dani?" she called out again, her voice wavering on the word ever so slightly.

I stopped at the top of the stairs. Staring at the female below that looked so very different from the sister I had seen just months ago. Weeks ago. She looked...good. Her sunken cheeks were now filled and tinted with a light pink from the cold. Color had returned to her features, bringing out her sharper features. The air of sadness and despair that had clung to her like a leech was now replaced by something like joy. Fulfillment.

So different, both of us had become. And it struck me stupid then.

Feyre wore a long coat, her hands neatly tucked into the large pockets as she strained her chin looking for something—me. Beneath the coat she wore black trousers and a loose white blouse.

My youngest sister blew out a breath, her voice quieting as she called out once more, "Dani?"

My chest rose with the soft breath I sucked in. Had she come to curse me again? To tell me how selfish I was one last time before we went our separate ways for only the Mother knows how long?