Four

I escaped at nightfall.

    The hooded forest was almost ethereal at night. Like a different world where all the monsters roamed free. I almost felt...at home there with the creatures that shared the same soul as me. The woods had become my home and the creatures within my friends.

    I had climbed from my balcony, using the vines that grew from the ground as ladders and snuck off the property, sticking to the paths that I knew the servants avoided.

    The stars cast their light through the leaves, I could see the large wall of trees up ahead. I took my time coming to a stop, placing my palm on one of the thick branches.

     The first time I had come back here—nearly a week after the events of Under the Mountain—I had placed my palm on the branch and it had immediately felt different than when I was human. I could feel the magic rolling off the branches in slow waves. Feel the life in them. It was startling. I'd grown accustomed to it in the many times I'd come here. Through I was still fascinated by the spark.

    The wood opened up in front of me, revealing the familiar dark passageway. It had always reminded me of the dark cells under the mountain.

    I took a breath, closing my eyes as I began feeling my way down the tunnel. I'd done it ever since I started coming here more frequently; closed my eyes so I didn't have to face the dark. I heard the creaky sound of the branches closing behind me and I squeezed my eyes shut tighter as I tried to regulate my breathing which had become faster than it should have.

    I practically ran down the tunnel, using the sides as a guide. I felt the familiar door at the end and opened it quickly. I was assaulted by the cold night air immediately, I opened my eyes slowly seeing the vibrant colors of the haven even under the darkness of the night.

    I spotted Azail almost immediately before he came running over to me. I'd thought the Wyvern was big and scary at first, but then I realized he was more of an overgrown puppy than anything.

    I would do it that night.

    I would do it.

    I ran a hand over Azail as if he could sense something off, he nudged my shoulder gently. I took a steadying breath, "Volo te reducere me in speluncam." I want you to take me back to the cave. I told him. I wanted to find out once and for all If I was truly the person they sought out.

    I was nearly positive after all those months that the Wyverns could understand the old language. Anytime I said something in it, they reacted. And so I spoke to them. I most definitely sounded insane when I did. But I talked to them nonetheless.

    Confusion lit in Azail's eyes and I said it again. Azail's look became understanding as he kneeled down, allowing me to climb onto his back. I did so. Azail took to the sky, something I'd grown accustomed to. Azail had found it funny to fool with me by taking off with me at odd moments. I had screamed until I lost my voice the first time, but after a while, it was just exciting.

    My sense of hearing had heightened tenfold since I became Fae and I'd learned that I loved the sound of the wind in the skies. I loved how it whispered to me as if it were an old friend.

    The flight was short and yet I felt the weight on my shoulders dissipate for a moment.

We landed and I got off, coming face to face with the wonder that had lingered in the back of my mind since the first time I'd come there. The large cave was still shrouded in shadows—that I'd learned was a barrier to keep any visitor out besides...me.

    The same carvings surrounded the cave mouth, written in the Holy Tongue; light, darkness, middle. I recalled them well, the middle one still puzzled e as it had before. I wondered if it had something to do with the legends.

    I rolled my neck in an attempt to get rid of my nerves, an action that didn't help at all. I refused to let myself think further and talk myself out of it. I took a step. Then another. Then another. Until I had approached the entrance of the cave.

    The shadows curled around my hand and I couldn't help but remember the tendril Amarantha had killed me with. I shook my head lightly, trying to clear the haunting memories from my mind.

    I took a step forward and the shadows engulfed me wholly.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

    The cave looked the same and yet not. It was as if my new eyes could see things the things they saw when I was mortal and yet it looked so different at the same time. There was no other way to describe it.

Fire still hung from the ceiling like lanterns, illuminating the stone walls of the cave. I was grateful for the light. I didn't know if I could handle being in there without it.

    Azail entered the cave only seconds after me, walking to the other side of the cave as he'd done the last time.

    I slowly—ever so slowly, turned my head to look at the carvings and art that littered the wall. I saw the same story I had the last time. My eyes immediately searched for the part of the story where the goddess visited the wyverns after they'd been freed.

    When she told them that a woman of light and fire would save them. That all they had to do was wait and freedom would be theirs again. That a Lady of White Light would save them with her consort of darkness.

    The goddess had created this cave as a sign of hope, putting wards on the walls so that the only person who was not a Wyvern that could enter the cave was the Lady of White Light. If anyone else dared they would be struck down by the suffocating shadows.

    I had entered the cave twice and yet the shadows had done nothing more than touch me.

I squeezed my eyes shut as my true reality hit me.

    As I finally accepted my fate.

    As I realized that because I was no longer mortal the prophecy could finally be fulfilled.

    My eyes opened with a new purpose and that familiar slithering feeling crawled under my skin. I could have sworn lightning touched my fingers as I could no longer deny what had been right in front of me.

    I was the Lady of White Light.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

A/N: I have much to say, my people. The first being that this plotline will become a much larger part of the story.

Also, do you guys think Danika should have Manon's nails?

The book will have over 100 chapters so I guess that's exciting?

And lastly, I wanted you all to know that Rhysie baby will be here soon😘