Forty-Two

Cassian opened his mouth to protest but Rhys held up a hand to silence him, "The test," he began with closed eyes, "will be to see if Danika can identify the object of mine in the Weaver's trove. When we get to the Summer Court, Tarquin might have spelled his half of the book to look different, feel different."

    "By the Cauldron, Rhys," Mor snapped as she looked him up and down as if he was insane. She went so far as to slam her feet down on the carpet. "Are you out of your—"

    "I am so out of the loop," I whisper to myself as I looked around the circle and their hissy fits, "Who's the Weaver?" I questioned louder.

    "An ancient wicked creature," Azriel explained. Well, she wouldn't be the first. "Who should remain unbothered," he looked in Rhys's direction, "Find another way to test her abilities."

    Rhys merely shrugged as his gaze turned to me once more. He was letting me choose. It was always my choice with him. An odd sense of warmth settled over me.

    I waved a hand in the air, "Bone Carver, Weaver, what's next? A unicorn?" I deadpanned.

    Cassian chuckled, and Mor settled back in the couch cushions seemingly taking that as a yes. I guess it was.

    Only Rhys had noticed it hadn't really been a joke. His face was tight—as though he knew precisely how tired I was. How much I yearned to just rest.

    "How about adding another name to that list?" Rhys suggested. I wasn't particularly sure what that meant but it was Rhys, what was I meant to expect?

    Even so, I wasn't sure I loved the sound of that. Mor said as much.

    "Emissary," Rhysand stated. "Emissary to the Night Court—for the human realm."

    "There hasn't been one for five hundred years, Rhys," Azriel said.

    "There also hasn't been a human-turned-immortal since then, either. Now we have two." Rhys met my gaze, "The human world must be as prepared as we are—especially if the King of Hybern plans to shatter the wall and unleash his forces upon them. We need the other half of the book from those mortal queens—and if we use magic to influence them, then they're going to have to bring it to us."

    His words were followed by silence.

    Rhys jerked his chin at me, "You are an immortal faerie—with a human heart. Even as such, you might very well set foot on the continent and be...hunted for it. So we set up a base in neutral territory. In a place where humans trust us—trust you, Danika. And where other humans might risk going to meet with you. To hear the voice of Prythian after five centuries."

    "My family's estate," I whispered, it was the first thing that came to mind. My family might actually kill me, but...it was either they hate me or their lives are put at risk further by Hybern.

"Mother's tits, Rhys," Cassian cut in, his wings flaring behind him. "You think we can just take over their family's house, demand that of them?"

    I was awful for bringing them into this, but I would lose them either way. At least they might still live this way.

    "The land," Mor cut in, "will run red with blood, Cassian, regardless of what we do with their family. It is now a matter of where that blood will flow—and how much will spill. How much human blood we can save."

    I knew I was a coward for saying, "But Spring Court—" I wouldn't go back. I would refuse to even step foot into Tamlin's territory.

    "The wall stretches across the sea. We'll fly in offshore." Rhys said within a blink. "I won't risk discovery from any court, though word might spread quickly enough once we're there. I know it won't be easy, Danika, but if there's any way you and your sister could convince those queens—"